Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Thousand Oaks Optical

Sqyff

Has anyone heard of or had practical experience of the Thousand Oaks Optical H Alpha system?

http://www.thousandoaksoptical.com/halpha.html

I stumbled across it this evening an wondered if it was a viable alternative to the more discussed Ha systems and mods on this forum.

Looking at the prices it seems quite a reasonable cost to equip larger aperture scopes.

Apologies if it's been discussed before.

The Thousand Oaks solar products are usually bypassed by the solar enthusiasts in favour of those of Baader. I did, however have a 5" aperture T.O. ERF which although very thin, did give excellent results on a PST mod. :smiley:

I thought the package looked interesting.

It seems to consist of an ERF with a separate H alpha tilting etalon filter unit which can be put either between the scope and diagonal or between the diagonal and eyepiece and all for £529.95 ($799.00) for a 4" setup (plus duty and taxes if bought from the US).

Compared this to just the Baader ERF on it's own which for the same general size retails for around £500.10 ($754.00) in the US, the Thousand Oaks Optical system looks like a bargain.

The question is whether the etalon and ERF are high quality I suppose.

I sent an enquiry to RVO re these filters - and got no reply....

I've used the Lumicon Ha narrow band solar filter (1.2A) with a 50mm ERF on a Meade 8" SCT as was not overly impressed.

There was a distinct lack of contrast and it was only usefull to see brighter proms....

The Baader ERF is a 1/10 wave, 6mm thick optical window with coatings to reduce the energy and maximise the Ha transmission. The 1000 Oaks (and others) just use red or (yellow) filter elements....

I sent an enquiry to RVO re these filters - and got no reply....

I've used the Lumicon Ha narrow band solar filter (1.2A) with a 50mm ERF on a Meade 8" SCT as was not overly impressed.

There was a distinct lack of contrast and it was only usefull to see brighter proms....

The Baader ERF is a 1/10 wave, 6mm thick optical window with coatings to reduce the energy and maximise the Ha transmission. The 1000 Oaks (and others) just use red or (yellow) filter elements....

Interesting. I think I will stick with my plan to get a Baader ERF for my upcoming H-alpha build.

Archived