Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Costs of this hobby.A small observatory.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I built my "loft-conversion" obs myself about ten years ago, by adding a "4th floor" dormer extension above a "tank room" (see pic on left) up to the level of the apex of the roof. It's made of 4x2 pine framing filled with polystyrene slab with a VisQueen vapour barrier, clad in ply and lapped slate/lead flashing and lined with plasterboard and wood wainscotting. A lot of timber went into the floor to give a stable AP platform, but much of that was obtained at low cost from a wood recycling yard in N. Wales.

The roof is flat with a (more recent) roll-off pitched secion glazed with acrylic. It is reached by an internal wooden staircase with one wind (re-cycling the door from the tank room at the top of that stair) and could be used as a very pleasant room (it has a glazed window with a view of the city, the hills in Wales and pretty sunsets) as well as providing easy access to TV yagi and sat dish (allowing me to maintain/replace those myself). All done under a "building notice" with reference to a very helpful building control officer, a very helpful local builders merchant and the "Collins DIY Handbook"!

I'd say it cost me less than £1000 at the local builders merchant, a few quid down the pub for the mates who helped with the heavy bits, (plus two weeks of my own time and ~£100 for the permissions/inspections) in total, and added at least the money spent to the value of the house - as well as saving money on ariel maintenance (I hate ladders!). The recent six-foot square glazed roll-off cost less than £100 and was completed in one day during a warm December weekend. All these costs are comparable by what one might easilly spend on observing kit.

The hard part was getting the flat roof (4x2, ply, and lots of tar) watertight. If I did it again, I would have added a slight pitch to the flat roof even though that would complicate the design a little. Maintenece consists of a fresh coat of water-proofing compound on the roof every few years (must look at the new "twin-pack" stuff) and a bit of work on the wooden-framed windows as they are very exposed to the weather at their hight (and facing south-west).

Of course, modern building regs have changed and might add some extra costs in view of the need for double-glazing etc, but I believe a loft obs can add more value to a property than the building expenses.

P

Beware of "Bells & Whistles" adding to the cost? Or make some allowance? :p

I (eventually) twigged, why I was (still) poor! Even with a "pre-build" (My nice Alexander's Observatory), the odd trip to a local DIY Store rarely left me with change from £50? Idem (more so!) sundry online orders for "Electronica": (Red / White) Lighting, voltage distribution / monitoring, Computer peripherals, cabling, USB hubs... The never ending HIDDEN list? :D

Spend the lot !

Mother is in care home costing £1000 per week, funded out of her savings and house sale.

Just get out there and spend before it all piles up !

Nick.

Brilliant. I could not agree more. As long as other bills are paid and you are not going cold spend it before the Government do , Especially as a 83 year old, enjoy yourself and spend it.

Archived