Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

EQ5 HEQ5 AP

Daddystu

Hi all,

Due to budget constraints I may have to revise down the spec for my new setup. The mount looks like its in for the chop. Is the EQ5 stable and accurate enough for AP with an 80mm Apo?

Thanks.

I used an eq5 for ap. its doable but be prepared for a lot of frustration. I'd be inclined to put if off fro a while until the heq5 becomes viable. Or wait til one comes up 2nd hand.

I have both an EQ5 and an HEQ5 - and use both for imaging regularly. The HEQ5 is a much bigger mount all round and I use it for DSO long exposure photography as well as planetary/Lunar and Solar with an astro movie camera or DSLR. The EQ5 also gets used for full disc Solar photography with the DSLR as well as movie close-ups of sunspots etc with the movie camera.

I suppose it all depends on the sort of photography you want to do - the EQ5 is not really up to DSO long exposure stuff (unless you are prepared to really work at it) the HEQ5 most certainly is good for all types of technique. By the way my main imaging scope is a 120mm APO refractor on the HEQ5 and a lighter 120mm Achromat on the EQ5.

Been there, done that, sold it and bought an HEQ5. Imaging on an EQ5 is "possible" but frustrating, perhaps frustrating doesn't quite do it justice. I was using a Megrez 72 & ST80 guidescope, so not a big payload. The HEQ5 is just a totally different beast, much better in every regard. If you buy an EQ5 you will just want to sell it for it's big brother in a matter of months costing you way more in the long run.

My advice is wait and save up for the HEQ5, you will be pleased you did.

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll take it onboard and wait for a HEQ5 to become available 2nd hand.

Regarding dovetail plates/bars. Which would be most suitable for connecting a 500mm focal length 80mm Apo to a HEQ5?

If you're getting the Equinox 80 you mentioned, the "foot" it comes with is fine. When you hang a lot of stuff on it, you can't get it quite balanced but I never had any problems despite that when mounted on my HEQ5.

If you are going to buy a dovetail plate, I would go for Losmandy unless your mount doesn't support it and you're not prepared to pay £100 for a new saddle. I don't think it will make much difference on a short, lightweight scope of only 500mm focal length anyway. Use the Vixen dovetail that comes with the mount and spend the money on a focal reducer / flattener (TRF-2008 for that scope). For rings, the WO 90mm rings fit it perfectly, but they're not cheap and there will probably be some Skywatcher rings that fit just fine too.

Archived