Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Filters - Which Type is Best for Viewing What?

A couple of questions on filters as I've just bought my first one. The first one is potentially a stupid one so apologies in advance if it is Firstly can you stack filters? By that I mean can you screw two together? And if you could is it even useful for anything?

Moving on: the filter I've bought is a UHC. What objects is this useful on particularly? I'm thinking particular types of nebula.

How about adding the names of particular items in list form e.g the veil nebula and which filter is best for viewing it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Hello again Skir, I do hope you are well! Yes, you can stack filters, but remember, you will reduce the light throughput as well. It can be useful, but very infrequently, I have stacked my minus violet filter (WO VR-1) before with others. For a guide to viewing objects, I always find this one from CN very helpful: http://www.cloudynig...hp?item_id=1520

As is this one from Lumicon: http://www.lumicon.c...erspec_prnt.pdf

Thanks to you both. A couple of good links there particularly the cloudy nights one.

Robin, which fillers tend to get combined and for what reasons?

To everyone else please do add in your own personal observational experience on different objects. Its good to know what works in the 'real world'.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

I heard that stacking filters can introduce internal reflections. Cant speak from experience just raising the point.

Hi Stargazing00, I presume that's a possibility, but there are so few reasons for stacking to be honest, when I've done it it is usually because I have the VR-1 in the diagonal as a standard fitment and I use others as and when needed with the ep.

Also one point right back in the OP, a UHC is a good versatile filter for showing up nebula. There are many nebulas in the sky that the UHC should peform well on. The O-III is a similar filter (both narrowband) but it is much more agressive, it will darken the background image more which is why it is best used on larger apertures and in darker skies.

The UHC is a better all rounder for this type of object.

If you have the (invaluable) Sky and Telescope's Pocket Sky Atlas then any object in green would be a target for a UHC or O-III filter.

UHC is a great filter, i use the Orion Ultrablock. Also have the Skywatcher OIII. But the UHC is the more versatile and more often used. That said, for the Veil it can only be the OIII. It's leaps and bounds better than the UHC, even in my 120 refractor.

Some objects that respond well to both filters are:

M97 Owl - responds well to both but definitely better in the OIII

M76 Little Dumbbell - definitely better with the OIII

Veil - superb with the OIII, good with the UHC

M57 Ring - better with the UHC, but i think better without any filter

M27 Dumbbell - great with both

M42 - great with the UHC and OIII

M17 Swan - great with both

Eskimo - work with both but the UHC gives a nicer view

I think there is a place in the kit bag for both filters if you are into your nebula.

Also one point right back in the OP, a UHC is a good versatile filter for showing up nebula. There are many nebulas in the sky that the UHC should peform well on. The O-III is a similar filter (both narrowband) but it is much more agressive, it will darken the background image more which is why it is best used on larger apertures and in darker skies.

The UHC is a better all rounder for this type of object.

If you have the (invaluable) Sky and Telescope's Pocket Sky Atlas then any object in green would be a target for a UHC or O-III filter.

True. The UHC filter is good for enhancing already visible nebulae like M42 etc. The Oiii filter is best for enhancing those nebulae that are not so visible in he scope like the Veil,Rosette etc.

I think there is a place in the kit bag for both filters if you are into your nebula.

This is also true and a good point. I could not decide which one i wanted, so i bought both. I bought the Skywatcher ones. I'm very happy with Skywatcher filters (i also have a SWLPF). They work really well and dont break the bank.

What filters are you looking to stack?. Most filters are double threaded to allow stacking but i cant see why anyone would do it. If you have a UHC or Oiii filter, they darken the background enough on their own that a light pollution filter is not needed (when observing Nebulae). You should not use a UHC or Oiii filter when not observing nebs.

If you have a few of those colour filters.............some people say they bring out detail on planets, but i have never found this to be the case and even though they can be stacked............they shouldnt be simply because it doesnt make sense and if you stack say about 6 of them...............all you can see is black.

Archived