NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

dark sky etiquette?

I think I'd rather have my night vision temporarily ruined than have to deal with the consequences of a car driver who'd suddenly turned their lights off and was in effect driving blind as they had no night vision...

Just wondering what the chances are of mandating lower brightness car headlights so that drivers keep some night vision (same with streetlights too) - I'm guessing none...

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A pity we can't have deep red head lights but they'd be confused with tail / stop lights. If all streetlights and all headlights were monochromatic and >680 nm (so they'd be beyond SII) things would be much better.

When exiting a car park used by a club meet, I think some people, myself included can manage with just the side lights on. At a star party such as at Kielder (I should be there this weekend but the conditions are abysmal) there is a strict no white light policy.

What I do not like is if someone decides to sit in their car with the inside light on and the engine running - belching fumes, warming up. When a light is for what ever reason turned on, I usually pull my fleece hat over my eyes for a moment or two.

I always thought that on public highways (including lay byes and car parks) it's actually illegal to drive without lights. It's also a matter of safety - so consideration for us astronomers just doesn't come into it.

But on private land and designated meetings on camp sites and other areas - then we astronomers are entitled to agree a set of rules by which all abide. But even then we have to be safe. I'd much rather be blinded with headlights for a second or two by someone parking up, than be knocked over (along with telescope) by someone trying to drive blind in the dark.

The best way is to provide alternative parking for latecomers - well away from astronomy areas, and close off access to observing and imaging areas. It's the only way to get guaranteed darkness imho. :)

Just a point, green light is better then red light for obtaining night vision, so do we all need to change?!

I don't think it's that green is better, just that a surprising number of people are red colour blind, more so than either green or blue which are supposed to be equally good for night vision.

Isn't the idea of red that rods are insensitive to that end of the spectrum therefore less likely to be overloaded and hence lose their sensitivity.

Backstage in theatres all the lights are deep blue (Stage blues)

The one place I've been to where people were observing close to the car park I drove in and out with just sidelights on, no one commented so I guess that was OK by them.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

I always thought that on public highways (including lay byes and car parks) it's actually illegal to drive without lights. It's also a matter of safety - so consideration for us astronomers just doesn't come into it.

But on private land and designated meetings on camp sites and other areas - then we astronomers are entitled to agree a set of rules by which all abide. But even then we have to be safe. I'd much rather be blinded with headlights for a second or two by someone parking up, than be knocked over (along with telescope) by someone trying to drive blind in the dark.

The best way is to provide alternative parking for latecomers - well away from astronomy areas, and close off access to observing and imaging areas. It's the only way to get guaranteed darkness imho. :)

Would anyone be actually stupid enough to drive without visability!? :eek:

When entering the car park where our group meets I usually switch to my sidelights which are LED. They are bright enough for me to easily see where I'm going & won't dazzle anyone.

There is also the subject of how to use laser pointers. Great for pointing out constellations to groups etc, but what if another astronomer happens to be imaging the area?

There is also the subject of how to use laser pointers. Great for pointing out constellations to groups etc, but what if another astronomer happens to be imaging the area?

Lasers and their use have been the subject of quite a few threads ;) . Just to say if I were just out for a nights meet I doubt if I would be doing AP but if it were a meet like SGL8 then I am sure there would be rules in place.

Jim

I think I remember that one - I was situated right next to the main track and there was abysmal manners by a few.

I managed to arrive late on the Friday but it was only just about dark (not astronomical dark) as we got there but still felt compelled to turn off the lights. Due to my tardy habits I've become quite adept at putting up a large steel and canvas frame tent in the dark without lights. :rolleyes:

Laser pointers are usually banned in star parties for that reason.

Archived