NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Another Asteroid

Bluey

The biggest difference is there are actually telescopes looking for them, which wasn't really the case a couple of decades ago. Detection methods have also improved a lot, both in terms of CCD cost and sensitivity, and data-mining techniques to automatically identify moving objects. it's only recently that computer-controlled sky surveys have become practical.

That one is much, much further away than the one that passed us by on 15/2. The asteroid that passed on that date (2012 DA14) was just 17,000 miles away at it's closest. The one in the above link is a bit larger but passes 600,000 miles away.

There a millions of these things out there with sizes varying from just a few metres to 600 km or more. Sooner or later we will get hit by a big one as has happened a few times in the past.

I'm thinking that asteroids are flavour of the month at the moment, so any pass will be reported in the media.

And Shaun, I've heard Ducks Back is good for shed protection against most things, although a few thousand tons of of red hot rock moving at thousands of miles an hour might be quite a test :)

I'm thinking that asteroids are flavour of the month at the moment, so any pass will be reported in the media.

And Shaun, I've heard Ducks Back is good for shed protection against most things, although a few thousand tons of of red hot rock moving at thousands of miles an hour might be quite a test :)

Bluey

I have just protected it with Cuprinol, so that should keep it safe :Envy:

Archived