Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher LPR Filter users, quick question for you!

Hi,

Last night the viewing I thought was pretty good, so out comes the scope (between cloudy periods of course), and I tried out my new Skywatcher light pollution filter.

Now was it just me, or does this filter create stretching of the image (coma??) around the edges? I wont have chance to have another look around with the scope tonight, but is this something normal for the filter, or am I making this effect up?

I can't remember which eye piece this was being used with as I was chopping and changing quite frequently.

Not come across that problem before, though I have used it several times (now sold it in favour of the Baader Neodymium), but I would be interested to hear any further thoughts you may have on this.

Maybe it was related to the high viewing angle of the celestron excel lx 9mm that caused it? Won't be able to try this again now until sometime next week, but I'll post back and confirm.

Would still be interested to hear from some users of this filter for their thoughts though, thanks in advance

Could it be that the background is darker and it's making a pre existing issue more visible?

That may well be the solution. My APM-branded UHC and O-III show ever so slightly less tight stars in my TV and Pentax EPs. I would like to compare it to a really premium one, just to see if I am imagining things. It is of course possible that a duff one got through what passes for quality control. I once had a Hoya UV filter for my camera lenses, which was dud. If you put it on a black (or just dark) surface, looked at it under an oblique angle, the reflection of a pattern of straight lines was all wobbly, whereas the reflection in Contax and B&W lenses showed straight lines. I returned the filter and got a full refund (and never bought any Hoya filters again).

• 3 weeks later...

was thinking of a skywatcher l/p filter to help when observing from the back garden where theres a few orange lights still about. so are they generally helpful or abit gimicky ?

not expecting a magic wand of a filter , just some small improvement might be an advantage when looking at the fainter objects.

ta.

I have the SW LP filter and have not noticed the issue raised by the OP. As for how useful so far I have only used it twice mostly with the 18mm and 12 mm BST so a little bit inconclusive but I would say there is a small improvement but it is not a huge one. I think though it might be more to do with local conditions and types of LP you are up against. It feels handy having it in the toolbox but essentialyl a dark site and a dark sky is more favoured!

I've not noticed any significant degradation with the Skywatcher LPR or its UHC sibling, even using pretty wide fields of view in fast scopes (e.g. 17mm Ethos in a Tak FSQ106ED). Perhaps the QC is variable, and I was just lucky - though it sounds from this thread like quite a few of us have had good luck with those filters.

Archived