Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

My first image of Saturn

Hi to all,

Early this morning I managed to persuade myself to venture in the cold night and used the clearing skies to take this image of Saturn, it was quite low and close to the Moon. The seeing was not really good at all as there were low clouds and haze drifting in and out and the planet seemed to jump up and down like a yo-yo in my scope due to turbulance. I took eight 30 seconds videos of the planet and this is the best of the lot, I have only seen images of Saturn taken with large aperture scopes so I don't know how this one rates. I used my SW127 MaK on the EQ5 pro SynScan in auto tracking mode and used an LP filter to remove a bit of the light pollution as the clouds drifting infront of the Planet and the Moon were distinctly orange. Hope you like it and as usual all advice is greatly appreciated.

Hoping for clear skies tonight.

Regards,

A.G

post-28808-0-74270100-1362241038_thumb.j

Brilliant picture! Love the shadow around the back!

What time was you out?

Thank you for your kind comment. I noticed the sky was clearing around 1 am, by the time I set up the EQ5 and sorted everything up it was around 1.30 am, then I lost the planet in the cloudes for about 1/2 hour and really started the videos about 2 am, I think that I packed up about 3 am and came in as I was freezing, spent the whole night shivering to be truthful but I think it was worth it as it was my first time trying to image this beautiful planet. I am sure that as i went to bed about 3.30 am the clouds had all but vanished and the seeing had improved as the Saturn's elevation had increased but at least I managed to get something.

Regards,

A.G

Archived