Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Zoom EP on a budget, which one.

bomberbaz

I want a lowish costing zoom EP and have narrowed my choice down to these two:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Celestron-93230-8-24mm-1-25-1-25-Zoom-Eyepiece-/380572698566?_trksid=p3284.m263&_trkparms=algo%3DSIC%26its%3DI%26itu%3DMRU-625%252BUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BFICS%252BUFI%26otn%3D21%26pmod%3D230907351909%26ps%3D54

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Seben-31-7mm-8-24mm-Telescope-Eyepiece/dp/B00663XV8S/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

It will be used in a Skywatcher 80 Refractor and is for grab and go type viewing. I am not expecting the earth in terms of views but just want a few considered opinions.

I am swaying towards the Celestron simply because I already have them and find the eye relief pretty good and the cap is screw down and as a spectacle wearer, this is really useful. Also the price of the EP on ebay is excellent when compared to the shop prices of the same product.

Any thoughts guys n gals

Baz.

I bought a Seben 8-24 zoom for a public viewing event a few months back. It was better than I expected up to the 18mm length - about as good as a standard plossl but with more eye relief and a wide field of view. Things went downhill beyond there though as the field of view contracts to around 40 degrees and the outer parts of that were quite astigmatic (distorted stars).

For the parts of it's range where it worked well I could not complain though and the cost was less than £30 on E.Bay.

The zoom I had looked identical to the 8-24 Skywatcher by the way and a number of other brands too. I suspect they are the same item.

Seben and Celestron are more or less the same eyepiece. Owned both and there was nothing to choose between them. I was very happy with the Seben for the price paid.

What is the eyecap like on them both please fredster. Am I right in thinking the Celestron is a screw type and the Seben a fold down type. If I am right, on the latter what is the rubber like as in stiff or quite flexible?

I've got one of these....

http://www.pulsar-optical.co.uk/prod/rigel/eyepieces/1.25inch/8-24zoomeyepiece.html

Cost me under £50 a year or two back, so I could see if I got on with a zoom before spending more on something better. Field of view on this is better than other cheap zooms I was considering and it was quite fun to use splitting doubles. If you're thinking of pushing your budget towards £100 I'd suggest a wanted ad for a second hand Hyperion zoom.

What is the eyecap like on them both please fredster. Am I right in thinking the Celestron is a screw type and the Seben a fold down type. If I am right, on the latter what is the rubber like as in stiff or quite flexible?

Both have the folding eye cup. The Celestron is pictured with its eye cup folded down. It's very comfortable to use. As John says, they are excellent between 8-18mm but things get a bit narrow above 18mm (down to Orthoscopic field of view). But this applies to all 8-24 Zooms except the Baader, which is slightly wider at the low end.

I bought a Seben 8-24 zoom for a public viewing event a few months back. It was better than I expected up to the 18mm length - about as good as a standard plossl but with more eye relief and a wide field of view. Things went downhill beyond there though as the field of view contracts to around 40 degrees and the outer parts of that were quite astigmatic (distorted stars).

For the parts of it's range where it worked well I could not complain though and the cost was less than £30 on E.Bay.

The zoom I had looked identical to the 8-24 Skywatcher by the way and a number of other brands too. I suspect they are the same item.

Was that at F/5.3? I'm wondering if 8-18mm will be okay in my F/5, and I'm not fussed from 18mm - 24mm, I already have a 20mm Plössl and a 26mm Plössl.

i bought this one, http://www.ebay.co.u...=item19cc7b1fa1

it's only for when i'm working on the webcam as I've got the flip mirror diagonal , it's a monster EP and looks surprisingly big in the hand ... and the image for visual isn't that bad to be honest , i haven't strained it just looking at the moon and jupiter but it does ok and has a lovely folding eye cup really soft on the eye...

oh and i knocked him down on the best offer to £36

Was that at F/5.3? I'm wondering if 8-18mm will be okay in my F/5, and I'm not fussed from 18mm - 24mm, I already have a 20mm Plössl and a 26mm Plössl.

No, that was at F/7.5 !. I'd not use it with my F/5.3 to be honest.

Thanks John, that's a great reason for me to save my money :).

EDIT: Steve, look here :)

HTH

Bought it Naemeth, (assuming no-one has got in before me) thanks for the heads up. I looked earlier and that wasn't on so must be a brand new listing.

I was torn between the Seben and Celestron but at that price its in the net. (hopefully) :smiley:

Steve

I brought the meade off ebay from america for 50 quid (plus customs but that was cheap), it`s a really good eyepiece.

Archived