First private Mars flight??

nephilim

As much as every fibre in my body wants this to happen, because it would be EPIC!, I really cant see it happening by the predicted 2018. With the amount of problems that occurred trying to get humans on the moon, imagine trying to travel the distance to Mars. Imagine something going wrong, even something small. I know on the Apollo 13 mission they managed to achieve something that would normally seem truly impossible, and get the astronauts back home. But Mars!?.

Dont get me wrong, I am not a pessimist. I am too young to have seen the lunar landing, but the experience I got from watching the 'Space Dive' last year by Felix Baumgardtner was something that blew my mind, and that was just the edge of space. Mars will have human inhabitants (maybe not for the first time?!) but wont be until 2025 onwards, more likely 2030. But I think the best place to watch for this to become a reality, is projects to do with Space X.

I hope to be proved wrong

Jez

I'm skeptical.

They haven't yet overcome a number of issues such as cosmic ray cell damage, food/water/oxygen supplies and the physical effects of long term weightlessness. Not to mention the psychological effects of isolation.

To put it another way, no matter how incredible it would be to take part in this, I wouldn't go on a mission that had been cobbled together in just five years.

I want this to be true but I just don't see how it can be.

I very much agree with you both, 2018 is just too near, I've heard (cant remember where, some NatGeog prog) that a manned Mars mission is a good 20+ yrs away & IMO I think thats pretty optimistic aswell, as Jez has mentioned, the 'space-dive' wasnt a smooth op & thats nothing compared to a manned flight to Mars, although its still not verified as to wether it would be manned or robotic, if robotic then obviously yes. If it does ever happen I'd just hope to still be around when it does.......Much more of a chance of that then my other wish, to still be alive when (if) M31 collides with the Milky Way!! Hmmmm...... :rolleyes:

Steve

If it does ever happen I'd just hope to still be around when it does.......Much more of a chance of that then my other wish, to still be alive when (if) M31 collides with the Milky Way!! Hmmmm...... :rolleyes:

Steve

I have an old freezer that works you can have.

All you need now is a power source and a note saying "DO NOT OPEN UNTIL 4,000,002,013 A.D, with a nice cuppa tea!" :D

Back to Elon Musk and Space X - here's a link with some info. http://io9.com/5963349/spacex-founder-unveils-plan-to-send-80000-people-to-mars

Although colonisation will be a long, long way off. I can't see that happening before 2100. But I do believe there are a few people of a very rare breed that will travel, one way, to Mars way before then, and possibly in the next 20 years.

Regarding the problems. Out of all of them, I think the weakest link will be the 'mind' of anyone who travels there and most likely take experts down a route of testing and trials of a stasis 'coma-like' state that would be induced for the duration of the journey. This is all speculation, mind you. But one of the many things I love to wonder about.

I agree on the supplies part. Where are they gonna store enough food, oxygen and booze to get to mars. What are they gonna do when they get there? What if they get hit by one of those dust storms? What if one of the team requires medical help on the way?

Also I think M31 and our galaxy will have swallowed themselves by the time they collide. We already have a big black hole in the centre of it, but more black oles will form by then accelerating the galaxies fate. Mars tho, we need to do something soon coz this planets had it.

..all the way to Mars in a small tin can and then NO LANDING? - so nothing that you could not do with an automated orbiter at far less risk and cost.

And drinking the wife's recycled urine for a year and a half, with 1.3 tonnes of freeze dried (probably horse-based) ready meals and guess what to rehydrate it with - no booze or cigarettes, and the lady in question hasn't access to a hairdresser (£££) or retail therapy (£££).... I can see the queue forming already.

However thinking of the famous (probably apocryphal) quote from Shackleton: "MEN WANTED FOR HAZARDOUS JOURNEY. SMALL WAGES, BITTER COLD, LONG MONTHS OF COMPLETE DARKNESS, CONSTANT DANGER, SAFE RETURN DOUBTFUL. HONOR AND RECOGNITION IN CASE OF SUCCESS." - someone will go.

And I wish them success! (although her indoors suggests a certain couple from Big Brother would be a good candidate for this).

For myself, I'll wait until you can go EasyJet - unless they land on Phobos and expect you to use "local transport" to get to Mars...

“Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful. Honour and recognition in event of success.” - See more at: http://www.markhorrell.com/blog/2012/safe-return-doubtful-was-shackletons-advert-apocryphal/#sthash.rZ4arwN3.dpuf

“Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful. Honour and recognition in event of success.” - See more at: http://www.markhorrell.com/blog/2012/safe-return-doubtful-was-shackletons-advert-apocryphal/#sthash.rZ4arwN3.dpuf

P

I believe it is planned to be a one way journey anyway, so I guess they won't be bothering to much about stores :eek:

Could be a job finding a crew who are both qualified to take part in the mission AND happen to be completely suicidal.

My interpretation of the story was that they are planning it for 2018 because there will be an alignment of the planets that allows them to go to Mars and return in a relatively short time.

The article quotes a 501 day round trip, but that sounds a bit optimistic to me.

Anyway based upon this I'd suggest it would be a flyby mission.

..all the way to Mars in a small tin can and then NO LANDING? - so nothing that you could not do with an automated orbiter at far less risk and cost.

The first manned moon missions didn't involve a landing either, OK, timescales were shorter and the risks were lower but it's all part of the process.

Baby steps.

The first manned moon missions didn't involve a landing either, OK, timescales were shorter and the risks were lower but it's all part of the process.

Baby steps.

Yes, many people regard Apollo 8 as the most important step in the mission to land men on the moon.

Seeing what happens to people that spend more than a year in space outside the safety of our magnetic field and atmosphere would be interesting.

This is very exciting - it certainly has the possibility of catching the world's attention and imagination (as Apollo did). There may be little value to actually being in a capsule 100 miles from the surface of Mars (compared to putting probes in orbit or landers on the ground) but the value is in the lessons learned from sending people there (and getting them back!)

Yes, it'll be insanely risky for those who are selected for the trip, but I'm sure they'll not be short of candidates and I think the plan is to select them within the next year, giving them 4 years of training.

It's pretty amazing that the age of private and commercial space-flight seems to be on the horizon! :smiley:

It sounds like a publicity stunt. 2018 is impossible from a standing start.

From what I hear, they propose a quick slingshot round the back of Mars, then straight back... the only viable mission with current technology... requiring least amount of fuel... aquick burn after leaving Earth, then coast to Mars, slingshot back to Earth.

Not sure if me and the missus will be signing up.

500 days in a tin can for a quick half-hour slingshot around Mars, then home without even a chance to stretch your legs on the beach.

This mission simply has to go ahead. And the more danger the better! Dont get me wrong, there's no way my wife and I are volunteering for this suicide mission but im putting the names of my mother and sister in-law forward.

Ill save the recycled urine detail for just after lift off. :)

This may seem like a rant, but its just my thoughts and I mean no offence. :)

A lot of people are saying or using the term "suicide mission". Not just here, but a lot of places.

I think this is a really negative way of looking at it.

Even if it was a one way ticket, to possibly set up a colony (i am generalising about missions and the date when it happens is unimportant) it wouldnt be thought of (or atleast shouldnt) as a suicide mission. Yes, you would not be able to return to Earth. You would merely live out the rest of your life on another planet.

Yes the risks are high and the chances are slim, but IMO i dont think the word suicide fits into this topic at all.

The happy couple set off on their epic journey......

This isn't a political statement, so I think I can get away with it....

Surely we could fit MORE of the cabinet in there!!!

This also isnt a political statement. I am just suggesting they all move to a bigger office......on another planet. I think Venus is more suited though. I hear its nice this time of year :D

This mission simply has to go ahead. And the more danger the better! Dont get me wrong, there's no way my wife and I are volunteering for this suicide mission but im putting the names of my mother and sister in-law forward. :)

Cruel - oh so cruel (but very funny!) :grin:

I saw this on the news the other day. That uuber rich guy who was the 1st space tourist is largely funding the project out of his own pocket, but needs other investors. Financially speaking it is very plausible IF a consortium of uuber wealthy people all club in and get the programme off the ground (no pun intended). I mean they would basically be handing NASA, ESA etc a blank cheque, to get it done.

However, it will NOT (i dont think so anyway) be done within the time scale set out by the guy behind the idea. Maybe as early as 2038. Hopefully by that time it will not the the one one-way ticket,suicide mission that it seems to be right now.

I think it is great that we have people (private investors like Branson etc) who have the cash to spend, and the desire in their hearts to advance humankind's exploration of space, at a time when governments are not allocating enough funding to do so.

Will space tourism ever become affordable to you and i (the great unwashed)............even with private investors.................i dont think so. I can fly to Australia for about a couple of grand return. Will space tourism ever offer me a return flight to NEO or a hotel on the Moon for the same price!!!!!!!!!!!

Methinks not.

Archived