Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

go 4 go 2

Hi,

I’m now 99% sure :eek: that after many months of chasing my tail over this I will be going to get

a SW 200p on an EQ5 mount...but sadly I cant stretch to an HEQ5 :mad:

The choice I have is do i get either a EQ5 STD or an EQ 5PRO goto.

I could just about stretch to the EQ5pro synscan goto (he says writing this as the wife is out) :grin:

Or

I could get the std EQ5mount and then at a later date go for the full upgrade kit.

My concerns are this... :shocked:

1. is a std mount when it has been upgraded going to be missing anything the pro goto would have on or with it?
  2. Is getting the pro goto mount a better long term option as everything is complete and factory fitted etc etc?
  3. Or is an upgraded just as good an option in the long term?

I think I have done all the other homework on this scope and the plan is to have a bit more of a go in AP... realising all the shortfalls of an eq5 with a 200p so on and so forth... but do I need to spend an extra £300 now or when I get round to it? Also taking into consideration any eyepiece upgrades?

I do have a sw130m and some GSO sp ep’s 9mm, 15mm, 32mm. Final question would these ep’s be ok with the 200p?

Many thanks

gra

ps has anyone seen a clear sky in the last few weeks??? :mad:

There is a compromise or 2 which may help. this ome isn't as good as visually but the eq5 can handle it a lot better for photo purposes http://www.firstlightoptics.com/reflectors/skywatcher-explorer-150p-ds-eq-5-pro-goto.html or these 2 items again don't give you the same visual capability as the 200p but do give you expansion possibilities should you think there is a chance of being able to upgrade at a later date

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/reflectors/skywatcher-explorer-150p-ds-ota.html

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-mounts/skywatcher-heq5.html

the eyepieces will be usable whichever scope you buy.

As to your original question about the 200p on eq5 or pro knowing what I know now If I was going for the 200p with a hope of astrophotography. I wouldn't choose to buy it on an eq5, If I was given one however I would hope it would be on an eq5 synscan. the 200 is a great visual scope but it needs a big mount for quality pics.

how about instead of buying brand new,looking out for second hand in fleebay or uk astro buy-sell.gumtree time to time gives some scopes out too.all my meade uwa`s came from there and saved me a fortune.the only one i had to buy brand new is 24mm but i am getting it imported from US for half the price and even shipping and customs fees added on top will still save me 100 quid.should be with me in a couple of days.

I believe the Celestron CG5GT mount is much the same as the HEQ5 and is certainly heftier than the EQ5 - so that might well be an option. I have one and its tracking is excellent and it hold the scope well even when blustery.

Looking at the numbers it looks to me that the CG5-GT is that bit better than the EQ5, albeit with 2" tripod legs compared to 1.75", and better bearings, but a little off a HEQ5.

FLO show the CG5-GT as having a payload of 7kg for imaging and 10kg for visual; the EQ5 Pro with 6.5kg for imaging and 9kg for visual; whilst the HEQ5 is 11kg for imaging and 15kg for visual.

So, in order, it goes EQ5 / CG5-GT / HEQ5.

The EQ5 is a bit of a struggle secondhand at the moment, I think i will end up buying new, the CG5-GT is tempting but I don't want to be learning/using too much different telescope gear & finding my way around the skies.

Adding the motors later is still an option with the EQ5.

Thanks for the information , very helpful.

I bought an EQ5, then added the twin motor drives, and later sold them and added the Synscan GOTO. I was happy with all development stages!!

A huge improvement can be obtained with all Synta mounts by cleaning out the glop they insist on fitting and relubing with some decent grease.

"I bought an EQ5, then added the twin motor drives, and later sold them and added the Synscan GOTO.

I was happy with all development stages!!

A huge improvement can be obtained with all Synta mounts by cleaning out the glop

they insist on fitting and relubing with some decent grease"

Hi spanishfly thanks very much for this

I would be interested to know if you are still happy with the full upgrade?

or if anyone else has done the full upgrade

gra

Archived