Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Tele vue barlows

A quick question, but what is the difference between a standard tele vue Barlow and a model from their power mate range?

Also is it worth buying tele vue Barlow's over other manufacturers offerings? I guess what I'm trying to say is do tele vue barlows have the same sort of reputation as their eyepieces?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

One of the principle benefits of the Powermates is they don't effect the eye relief of your eyepieces. Barlows increase eye relief, which can be a bonus on short focal length eyepieces, but at the same time an be a pain on longer focal length ones.

If you only intend Barlowing short eye relief eyepieces then go with a Barlow. If like me, you like to Barlow long eye relief eyepieces then the Powermate is the kiddy.

Yes the TV Barlows and powermates have the same rep as their eyepieces, top class glass. :)

A barlow is a simple negative lens, whereas a powermate is a telecentric lens. In the former, you can change the magnification by varying the distance between barlow and EP or camera. In the latter, the magnification is nearly constant, irrespective of extension tubes used. This can be handy when inserting filter wheels, etc.

Another question related to this: would a power mate type Barlow be more use in ap than a standard Barlow or do they both have their uses?

Another question related to this: would a power mate type Barlow be more use in ap than a standard Barlow or do they both have their uses?

Powermates are more useful in imaging or if you don't want extra eye relief, Barlows are more useful if you need extra eye relief :).

i broke the bank to get a powermate for imaging, but they are nearly double the price of a barlow.i would have thought a barlow would be a fine choice.

there are some differences in magnification as well, the 1¼" Barlows are 2x & 3x and the 1¼" Powermates are 2.5x & 5x

Archived