NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Summer Stargazing?

harpic

Hi every one, I am going to ask a question which will probably attract much riddicule, are you ready? Right, is stargazing normally done in the colder months because the hours are more sociable or are summer skies too light for good seeing? Is the atmosphere clearer in winter because it rains more (haha) and is poorer in summer due to dust and thermals. Let me know, many thanks.

In northern latitudes skies are a bit grey for many objects, and planets (if they appear) are rather low in the sky. Having said that, many of the finest DSOs are visible in summer. I do have long sessions in summer, but whenever I get a chance I go south with my scopes to seek out darker skies. Southern France is fine, Italy is my destination this summer. As from August, you can get good skies more northwards. The great advantage of summer observing is that you can do it in a t-shirt

Given the weather over recent years i grab what ever clear skies i can, winter or summer. And some of my most memorable sessions have been in the spring/summer months. Plus there is something wonderful about observing in t-shirt and shorts, or at the most, some light clothing. And not have your hands freeze solid. For me only June is iffy but i'll even observe then if the conditions are good.

Hi every one, I am going to ask a question which will probably attract much riddicule, are you ready? Right, is stargazing normally done in the colder months because the hours are more sociable or are summer skies too light for good seeing? Is the atmosphere clearer in winter because it rains more (haha) and is poorer in summer due to dust and thermals. Let me know, many thanks.

It's darker, quite simply. Around the 21st of June (Summer Solstice), we all loose Astronomical Dark (when the Sun is at least 18 degrees below the Horizon), so finding the fainter DSOs is more difficult (impossible if the DSOs are fainter than the background glow from the Sun). I started around the Summer time last year, and I did get observing done, but around the Solstice you have to wait until midnight for it to be anywhere near dark.

I'm with Fredster on this. I get out whenever I can and observe, yes conditions may not be the best, but in this country you have to take any chances you get. I've been out twice this winter so far, if I packed my scope away in summer as some do that wouldn't allow much observing. In the southeast only the few weeks round the longest day are a no-no. The rest of summer is good to go. :)

I'm with Fredster on this. I get out whenever I can and observe, yes conditions may not be the best, but in this country you have to take any chances you get. I've been out twice this winter so far, if I packed my scope away in summer as some do that wouldn't allow much observing. In the southeast only the few weeks round the longest day are a no-no. The rest of summer is good to go. :)

Summer has it's advantages - observing with only a T-Shirt (and shorts) on.

Some of the best views I've had were getting out of bed at about 3:00am (because it was far too warm) and doing some stargazing, Jupiter was excellent (and it was my first of the season)!

I did quite a lot of observing last summer. It's true you have to be up late to observe and even then the skies never get truly dark, but the former wasn't a problem for me since I have nice working hours and as for the latter, well it never gets truly dark in Birmingham anyway!

Thanks

Phew - glad you asked it before I did - thanks! Good to hear you can.

Would any filters help during the lighter months (or is that a stupid question...?)

Seems very intriguing. Unfortunately, I don't have the capacity to spend more than 5 minutes in the sun :( No, I'm not albino .... :D

Vampire? :D

I use a Tilley hat (in summer) and do not burn easily, fortunately (I cannot remember having a sunburn ever). There is always factor 30+ sunblock to be had.

Vampire? :D

I use a Tilley hat (in summer) and do not burn easily, fortunately (I cannot remember having a sunburn ever). There is always factor 30+ sunblock to be had.

yep, Vampire indeed. Nah, I just get hot very quickly and my eyes are quite sensitive :)

I dislike long Summer days...Not good for relaxing or observing...

This is one of the best bits of summer observing. Have a BBQ, kick back and relax with some proper family/wife time. And then when the family go to bed you go out. No brownie points needed because you spent the whole evening with the family. Its perfect :grin:

Very nice. Do you require much of tracking for solar observing?

I point the polar axis north, level the mount (and when travelling set the latitude), and the RA motor does the rest.

Not perfectly accurate, but good enough. The little TeleVue SolSearcher lets me find the sun safely very easily.

This is one of the best bits of summer observing. Have a BBQ, kick back and relax with some proper family/wife time. And then when the family go to bed you go out. No brownie points needed because you spent the whole evening with the family. Its perfect :grin:

well, I guess it's a personal preference. I don't mind summer...just difficult for spending time ''in the sun'' for a long time.

Archived