Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Really silly question...HEQ5 for the sake of less money?

I think the quoted 25kg for the nEQ6 is optimistic for imaging, but might be 'okay' for visual.

Yeah, that's the impression I get. I was advised to go for something that was specced for twice the load. I think my combined kit will be 12-14 kg

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, that's the impression I get. I was advised to go for something that was specced for twice the load. I think my combined kit will be 12-14 kg

That's the major factor I eventually settled for the EQ6 Syntrek, despite being at least £100 more.

I've had an EQ6 pro for a donkey's age. It just won't give up. I can move it easily enough attached to the tripod but no scope or weights. There simply are no obvious grab points on the thing. Considering how big the cost increase is to get to the next class up in mounts I think I'll be with this EQ6 for a while yet. I do visual and max weight right now is about a 30lb scope set up and 30 lbs of weights. I'm thinking about imaging with it when I have an observatory.

AR152-EQ6-DIY-5_zps53f52acd.jpg

AR152-EQ6_zpsc22ff028.jpg

When I was thinking about getting into astronomy I spoke to an aweful lot of people about telescopes and in the end I waited and purchased the neq6. I wanted to use it for deep sky and photography and in the end I went for a 250pdx (10" newt) on the neq6. The neq6 will manage the 300 (12") for viewing but just on the edge for photography by the time you've added the weight of the guidescope, cameras, extra bars etc etc then the 250 is about as big as you want to go. So it depeneds on what you intend using your setup for and what type of ota you're going to use personally I'm extremely greatful for the advice I received on here and that I waited for the neq6 it's and awesome bit of kit and worth every penny imo.

The other thing you will want to consider is if you are moving your neq6 about they're heavy. If you're going to permanently mount it somewhere this isn't an issue but I move mine about and they weigh a bit I can manage mine fine but I know a few people that struggle. My advice would be to pop along to your local astro soc and see if someone there can show you one so you know what they will be managable.

I've had an EQ6 pro for a donkey's age. It just won't give up. I can move it easily enough attached to the tripod but no scope or weights. There simply are no obvious grab points on the thing. Considering how big the cost increase is to get to the next class up in mounts I think I'll be with this EQ6 for a while yet. I do visual and max weight right now is about a 30lb scope set up and 30 lbs of weights. I'm thinking about imaging with it when I have an observatory.

AR152-EQ6-DIY-5_zps53f52acd.jpg

AR152-EQ6_zpsc22ff028.jpg

I know we're all about the NEQ6 here, but I have to say, your scope pretty awesome! How did you find it? :) I like the wooden mount as well.

When I was thinking about getting into astronomy I spoke to an aweful lot of people about telescopes and in the end I waited and purchased the neq6. I wanted to use it for deep sky and photography and in the end I went for a 250pdx (10" newt) on the neq6. The neq6 will manage the 300 (12") for viewing but just on the edge for photography by the time you've added the weight of the guidescope, cameras, extra bars etc etc then the 250 is about as big as you want to go. So it depeneds on what you intend using your setup for and what type of ota you're going to use personally I'm extremely greatful for the advice I received on here and that I waited for the neq6 it's and awesome bit of kit and worth every penny imo.

The other thing you will want to consider is if you are moving your neq6 about they're heavy. If you're going to permanently mount it somewhere this isn't an issue but I move mine about and they weigh a bit I can manage mine fine but I know a few people that struggle. My advice would be to pop along to your local astro soc and see if someone there can show you one so you know what they will be managable.

I say you started really strong :) It saved you a lot of hassles and upgrading, which is good really.

I'm aware the NEQ6 is quite heavy. I presume I can manage it to and from the back garden.

I say you started really strong :) It saved you a lot of hassles and upgrading, which is good really.

I'm aware the NEQ6 is quite heavy. I presume I can manage it to and from the back garden.

That depends, only you know how much you can lift. I'm 50+ yrs old and have no troubles setting up. in fact, I find putting the 200p more of a hastle then putting the mount on the tripod. :).

That depends, only you know how much you can lift. I'm 50+ yrs old and have no troubles setting up. in fact, I find putting the 200p more of a hastle then putting the mount on the tripod. :).

I usually take off the whole scope with the rings and dovetail still attached, then move the mount separately. I do think it's a hassle as well....i can't count how many times the OTA almost slipped off my hands, especially in the cold. I can imagine with the NEQ6 and the guide scope the hassle will double...but, hey, what hell...except for the frost bites and achy neck, it is still worth it, is it not?! :)

The eq6 isnt as difficult to move as people make out, when setting up the tripod and head together is ok for up to 25m (you could always split) then the tube(10"oo) with rings is next then weights and powerpack, when its all together, i'll move it 5 m max , but it is heavy in one lump. (without counting powerpack, about 50kg)

set up inc split carry, build , polaralign to visual (ie in the circle) and three star allign, less than 20minutes. sometimes quicker.

I usually take off the whole scope with the rings and dovetail still attached, then move the mount separately. I do think it's a hassle as well....i can't count how many times the OTA almost slipped off my hands, especially in the cold. I can imagine with the NEQ6 and the guide scope the hassle will double...but, hey, what hell...except for the frost bites and achy neck, it is still worth it, is it not?! :)

definately worth it :)

Archived