Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Whole Barlow or just the cell

Ewan

Hi this may seem a bit of a daft question really & i'll probably feel a bit of a fool but anyway.

When i use my 3x Twistlock Barlow i use the whole tube but i understand i can take just the bottom cell off & use that somehow, i have looked at mine but the thread seems quite large to fit anything, even if i could connect it is there advantage in doing so ?, i have seen posts where people have just used the barlow cell but not the tube, i am assuming that it just effects focal length & focus travel & not much else, am i wrong ?

I was thinking would it better trying to connect the cell when using the DMK + FW ?

Even if i look like a twit :-) i would still like the advice so i can at least know the facts.

Thanks for reading

Ewan

Depends which Barlow you have... Some of them fit to the ep using the filter thread, I think it reduces the effective mag from something like 2 x to 1.6 x but don't take that as gospel.

I have my SkyWatcher omni Barlow (cell part) screwed to the bottom of my webcam, figured its easier to clean the Barlow than to clean the CCD :D

Most barlows can be used without the tube i just got the baader turret 2.25 and you remove the element containing the glass, this screws into the filter thread od an eyepiece, on this model it gives x1.3 without the tube

• 2 weeks later...

God im late back here sorry guys, i must remember to follow the threads more appologies to all, i thought it may reduce the mag as the whole train should be smaller but to what degree i couldnt say but i will testing this out on Solar sun spots in the coming weeks, hope to post DMK, DMK + barlow cell, dslr & dslr + barlow cell.

Thanks for the replies to this question.

Archived