NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

SW dual axis motor on EQ5, can you increase the speed?

emadmoussa

The motor is fantastic when it comes to tracking and fine slow aligning of the telescope. Unfortunately, it is not fast enough to rotate from point to point in the opposite direction without having to take a nap during the process.

Can you somehow increase the motor speed?

I'm afraid not - you just get 2x, 4x and 8x tracking speed. You have to release the clutches and align manually. If you have your finder scope set up you should be able to get pretty close with that. A Telrad is ideal, if you have one, for star-hopping to a target.

I have found that I can set the clutches' friction loose enough so that I can gently move the scope but tight enough to be able to continue with the handset without having to tighten the clutches again. I am not sure if this is the correct way to use the mount but it seems to work for me. If there are other methods I would be interested to hear of them.

I think I got mixed up with the GoTO Syncscan - that one's motor goes from one point to another in a second. I understand a computerized Goto could be very useful, but over times it becomes obsolete once you've learned your away around the night sky.

I understand a computerized Goto could be very useful, but over times it becomes obsolete once you've learned your away around the night sky.

Unless you're using it for imaging targets you can't actually see. GOTO is quite useful then :)

James

Unless you're using it for imaging targets you can't actually see. GOTO is quite useful then :)

James

Then again, James, good learning is always about overcoming challenges. If you find the target without having to work for it...well, for me, feels like cheating :) I would accept it if I already know every inch of the night sky and I just can't be bothered pointing my telescope manually.

Then again, James, good learning is always about overcoming challenges. If you find the target without having to work for it...well, for me, feels like cheating :) I would accept it if I already know every inch of the night sky and I just can't be bothered pointing my telescope manually.

I'm mostly a star-hopper myself to be honest as I enjoy the process and the challenge of finding a new target and the learning that happens as part of that.

James

I think I got mixed up with the GoTO Syncscan - that one's motor goes from one point to another in a second. I understand a computerized Goto could be very useful, but over times it becomes obsolete once you've learned your away around the night sky.

so that would be what, 20 or 30 years before it becomes obsolete? ;).

Scott

Archived