NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

2" Planet Eyepiece

Rob

As you know, there is no benefit to having a 2" barrel with eyepiece focal lengths below 25mm(ish) - other than perhaps convenience. Why not buy the best 1.25" planetary eyepiece you can afford and a 2-1.25" adapter? (I have one of the early Zeiss orthoscopics that is permanently fitted to an adapter).

Steve re your comment above

As you know, there is no benefit to having a 2" barrel with eyepiece focal lengths below 25mm(ish) - other than perhaps convenience. Why not buy the best 1.25" planetary eyepiece you can afford and a 2-1.25" adapter? (I have one of the early Zeiss orthoscopics that is permanently fitted to an adapter).

-why is that ?

Karlo

-why is that ?

Karlo

Eyepieces in the 2" format are more expensive to make, the format is used for widefield eyepieces where the light coming into the eyepiece is so wide that some of it would be blocked if a 1.25" barrel was used. Unless they FOV presented by the eyepiece is wide enough to suffer from this there isn't really a lot of point to paying more money and having a heavier eyepiece that will give exactly the same views as a cheaper, lighter one. :smiley:

Mind you a 9mm TMB in the C8 is quite a magnification

hmm I don't think so? Sure there will be some nights that won't support 226x but the majority will. 270+ is when things get tricky. For the whole time i owned my last C8 I used it with only two eyepieces - 20mm TV Plossl and a 9mm BO/TMB. Also had the Orion Shorty Plus for those very rare nights that can take 400+ mags. I did want to add a Moonfish 30mm but never got round to it.

Archived