Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Altitude bearing material teflon & ??

Joseki

Hi, I'm in the process of building up my scope (last try I hope!). For the altitude bearings I will have large bearings riding on teflon pads. I've got the teflon and two different types of material to cover the bearings with but I'm not sure which would be best.

option 1: textured iron on melamine edging tape

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300777671397?var=600057125225&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

which is really only one step away from being smooth.

option 2: low slip tape (red :grin: ) suitable for all weather

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360509055450?var=630061637778&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

this hasn't arrived yet but I'm hoping it's a lot more textured..probably very similar to the stuff put on skateboards (I think).

So my question is for people who've tried this is whether either of these is obviously better. My impression from internet photos is that the original ebony star laminate falls somewhere in the middle of them. The teflon pads will be thick btw so I'm not too worried about higher wear of the pads (and I've got enough to replace them later if necessary). However both tapes look hard to remove once applied so I'd rather not try one with the idea of removing it later. The telescope is only small for a dob - 10" and I think the red would look nicer so my guess would be to try that.

8kids - thanks yes I think the melamine edging tape is used for that. - Least I've got some completely smooth stuff from BnQ for finishing off some mdf shelves. My local BnQ and Wickes aren't very big so I might have missed some great stuff.

+1 for the "Iron-on" edging tape. That is what I use for this application and it can easily be 'ironed-off' as well. I found that using an iron some of the adhesive got onto the sole plate of the iron and SWMBO wasn't pleased! At least I could get it off with some solvent. I now use a hot air gun and an artists rubber roller ( you'll get burnt fingers if you try to use those to push it onto the surface :angryfire: ).

Nigel

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the advice!

The black non-slip stuff came and it does have a great texture - seems to be the orange peel type texture I've read about, but it's about as sticky as electrician tape - not good. So it'll be the white iron on stuff as the red non-slip tape really was like sand paper.

If our using iron on edging put a sheet of folded A4 paper between the iron and the tape, it will keep the iron clean and stop you scorching the tape.

Gary.

Yes that is one solution. However I found that it was easier to use my hot air gun.

1. Using a barrier like a sheet of paper requires three hands or you need to use some sticky tape to hold the iron-on edging in place while you hold the paper in place with one hand and the iron in the other.

2. For some of the smaller Dob mounts that I made I used standard furniture board with a circular cut-out for the altitude bearing which I lined with the edging iron-on tape for appearance. There is no easy way of using a flat iron for inside curves.

Nigel

post-7974-0-91704100-1362995906_thumb.jp

Yes that is one solution. However I found that it was easier to use my hot air gun.

1. Using a barrier like a sheet of paper requires three hands or you need to use some sticky tape to hold the iron-on edging in place while you hold the paper in place with one hand and the iron in the other.

2. For some of the smaller Dob mounts that I made I used standard furniture board with a circular cut-out for the altitude bearing which I lined with the edging iron-on tape for appearance. There is no easy way of using a flat iron for inside curves.

Nigel

I love to disagree, :evil:

I've used the nose end of an iron many many times for internal curves with great success. Once the tape initially grabs you can then easily hold the folded paper and edging in one hand and iron with the other, the paper just stops the tape scorching, I would then press down using a cork block, and either chisel or sand the edges flush. :smiley:

That aside, I would have thought formica edging would be the pefered option, in which case you will need a contact adhesive. :grin:

Gary.

I didn't say that it wasn't possible to use a flat iron just that, having tried both methods, I found it easier my way. You obviously find using the flat iron is satisfactory for you and there is no point in purchasing a hot air gun just for this job when it can be done with the iron.

Nigel

Archived