SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Cumbria StarParty 8

Hi Tom,

Just to remind you and your Scottish friends that Monday 27th May 2013 is a Bank Holiday in Scotland

So there should be no reason why you cannot stay on Sunday night. I must get Mike to do the steak meal

again, it was very nice, he got the steak from a local Cumbrian butcher.

No doubt Phil will help twist his other arm!

Cheers

Adrian

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello everyone I am new here and I am curious to see if anyone lives in Arizona and if there are any upcoming events? Maybe at the Lowell observatory ? If not it would be awesome to meet up and plan a event please IM if interested :)

This thread is for the star party in Cumbria UK, you'd get alot more info if you post in the welcome section as i've seen a couple of members from Arizona. Welcome to SGL. :smiley:

Steve

Unfortunately Adrian, NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde (my employer) doesn't give the 2nd May holiday as statutory leave - so I will be hard at work that day. Ho hum, c'est la vie - at least i will have the weekend.

Tom

Hi,

Mike and myself will be arriving on Tuesday 21st May.

Hopefully the weather will be perfect for lunar gazing!

If anybody coming needs feeding on the Friday night can they let me know ASAP.

Also an estimate of your arrival time would be helpful.

Have a safe trip.

Cheers

Adrian

Hi All,am going over to Nina`s tomorrow to drop off some stuff for the starparty,will check the field and help clear the barn,will post Sunday if anyone has any questions.

Look forward to meeting up ,just hope the weather plays ball.

Safe journey and clear skies.

Mike

Hello everyone, So sorry about the lack of communication from me, but I decided to throw my laptop at a passing spider. Ooops, Can't wait till the weekend, loved reading all your banter. Hope the weather picks up for us as I am writing this post as Mike does a couple of lengths in the outdoor pool, which once was the yard up the back. A friend is bringing us some sheep over, to cut the grass, they are very social sheep so Adrian you will be fine with their company. We all need to bring wellies if this rain keeps up, but it won't as the forecast is looking very good for us. Better dash as laptop battery is about to expire, See you all soon, Nina xx

Hi,

Mike and myself will be arriving on Tuesday 21st May.

Hopefully the weather will be perfect for lunar gazing!

If anybody coming needs feeding on the Friday night can they let me know ASAP.

Also an estimate of your arrival time would be helpful.

Have a safe trip.

Cheers

Adrian

I would really appreciate food on the Friday evening Adrian. i expect to arrive at Nina's between 3 and 4pm, so bags of time to set up the tent prior to dinner time : )

Do you need me to bring any specific food?

Cheers

Tom

Hello everyone, So sorry about the lack of communication from me, but I decided to throw my laptop at a passing spider. Ooops, Can't wait till the weekend, loved reading all your banter. Hope the weather picks up for us as I am writing this post as Mike does a couple of lengths in the outdoor pool, which once was the yard up the back. A friend is bringing us some sheep over, to cut the grass, they are very social sheep so Adrian you will be fine with their company. We all need to bring wellies if this rain keeps up, but it won't as the forecast is looking very good for us. Better dash as laptop battery is about to expire, See you all soon, Nina xx

I have been told that Adrian likes sheep. Still, we all have our little peccadillos : ))

See you Friday Nina.

Tom

Hi all ,a quick update site was very wet at weekend now it`s very dry ,field grass nice and dry,got 2 hours viewing in last night,very clear shots of the moon.

It is blowing a hooly here at the mo,got everything tied down.

Will contact new attendee`s by pm tonight to give them contact details.

Safe journey everyone see you n your arrival.

Regards

Mike

Cheers Mike. Anne and I were down at the Lake District yesterday - lovely and sunny. Sunny up in Glasgow again today, but very windy. I hope the reasonable weather continues for the weekend. See you Friday.

Tom

Hi Tom,

The star party started Tuesday with the arrival of Mike and myself.

We got glimpses of the Moon last night. The sheep retreated to the back field once Mike said "where is my

mint sauce".

We had a big breakfast come brunch this morning and a good dinner to-night.

Nina acted as the major eyepiece changer last night.

The sky is reasonably clear at the moment and We are about to go and lunar gaze!

The Highland Park has not been opened yet, just awaiting your arrival....

I have the Ouzo bottle for indicating the dew levels.

Went birdwatching today on the Solway, not much activity though.

Will have a meal ready for you Friday evening.

Cheers

Adrian

Thanks Adrian, I am really looking forward to coming down on Friday. The BBC weather forecast is good for Friday and Saturday - wonders will never cease!

Just starting to think about what I need to pack - which malt, what beers, telescope perhaps?

Tom

Well then folks, Things are looking a tad better here, Our swimming pool is now just a few random puddles, Weather forecast is looking good - We-hey. Our communal area is going to be our stable block this time, which is now resembling our barn - well it is now that Phil has arrived with his tipple of choice.

Adrian, Mike, Phil, Thomas and I have just indulged in a huge all day breakfast, which hopefully is much needed to see us through our night viewing. We have discovered that the more you eat the less chance we have of blowing away in this wind. Lets hope it calms down before tomorrow.

Unfortunately I am at work tomorrow until 2ish, so will not be here when some are arriving but I will see you when I get in.

Cannot wait to see you all, Hope your journeys are safe, see you tomorrow

Nina

Xx

Hi all,

I'll be bringing down some spicy lentil soup and a lamb curry but we won't be there until 8pm or so tomorrow night so save us some food if you are all eating before that and we can add the curry to Saturday nights menu. :smiley:

I've just been and got the other provisions for the weekend including a nice bottle of malt for sharing!! :smiley:

The weather doesn't look too bad either so hopefully I'll be able to get some Lunar, Saturn imaging done and I'm thinking of trying a Lunar mosaic for the first time. I've compiled a list of double stars that we can observe as they aren't affected too much by the Moon and there is also a couple of nice conjunctions in the early evening which will be a good photo opportunity of those with DSLR's.

http://astronomical-...-mercury-may-26

We'll see you all tomorrow night!! :hello2:

Cheers

Steve

Hi Steve,

The sheep in the lower field were very upset to hear that you have prepared a lamb curry!!

We on the other hand were very pleased.

Suggest you pack high quality sailing gear, to help you stay on board the field in the gusts of wind.

We will try and eat as much of the food before you come, so there might be a few bits left.

More importantly have a safe journey.

Trust the car is up to the trip.

Cheers

Adrian and Nina

Hi Steve,

The sheep in the lower field were very upset to hear that you have prepared a lamb curry!!

We on the other hand were very pleased.

Suggest you pack high quality sailing gear, to help you stay on board the field in the gusts of wind.

We will try and eat as much of the food before you come, so there might be a few bits left.

More importantly have a safe journey.

Trust the car is up to the trip.

Cheers

Adrian and Nina

Mike has very kindly purchased me some heavy duty tent pegs so hopefully they will be enough to stop the tent becoming a sail!! I think the wind is forecast to ease up a bit by tomorrow night, well the last time I checked anyway. :smiley:

As for the car I'm hoping it's up for the journey, I only bought it last weekend and the guy looked a bit dodgy... definitely a bit of an Arthur Daley type but as he had a Stargazers Lounge car sticker in the back I gave him the benefit of the doubt!! :wink::grin:

I'm looking forward to catching up with everyone and meeting a few new folk so is my son, see you all soon.

Hi,

Weather is dry at present, clear blue sky to the north, still very windy.

I have gone up in the world, tent is now up the local tree!!

Opened the bottle of Highland Park to celebrate my new celestial position.

Have a safe trip.

Cheers

Adrian

Hi Nina & all CSP-ers!

Sorry I couldn't make this one, but I hope that you all have a great time & are able to enjoy clear skies.

Please don't forget to post some photos - I'm looking forward to seeing the astro images & fun!

Have fun!

Jonathan :)

Hi Jonathan,nice to hear from you,skies clearing as we speak,chilly and wind finally dying down,it was very rough last night,will pass on your good wishes,and i`m sure Nina will talk to you later after work,

Regards

Mike

Archived