Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First Light with Skywatcher 200p on EQ5 - newbie

Mad Taff

Hi. I tried out my new Skywatcher 200p on EQ5 for the first time last Friday night. It was an amazing experience. Started off by looking at the Moon which was about a quarter and got used to my eyepieces. Amazing sights of the craters etc in shadow. I turned the scope to Jupiter. Nearly fell over – another amazing sight. I could make out a couple of bands on the disc and the four main moons were clearly visible. I then looked at M42 and wasn’t disappointed. I finished the evening by just panning the sky with the standard 25mm eyepiece and looking at nothing in particular which was great fun.

I have been out every night since. I am amazed as to how quickly and just over 24 hours or so that Jupiter’s moons change positions. Last night I could only see three moons. I assume the fourth was round the other side or something. No sign of the GRS. The disc sometimes went in and out of focus. I assume this is air quality.

Last night I think I saw Mercury for the first time. At first I wasn’t sure if it was Mars as it seems to be in that part of the sky too. Anyway the object I saw although reddish in colour did have a crescent and was very small so I assume this was Mercury. I couldn’t spend long on it (about 10 minutes) as it is low in the sky anyway and soon drifted behind some trees.

Each evening has been great viewing. One annoying factor was that my eyepieces kept misting up, although last night wasn’t so bad as there was a light breeze which seemed to help. Will have to get something sorted out with that.

Anyway, I will be out again tonight no doubt. I wonder what position Jupiter’s moons will be in and will the GRS be there? :smiley:

Clear Skies Phil

Hi Mad Taff, I have the same set up and won't forget the first light views which were similar to yours. It's a brilliant scope that will give years of pleasure.

I can recommend making a dew shield from a camping mat, this has proved it's worth in preventing dewing on the secondary mirror. There are lots of hints and tiips on SGL which are very worthwhile.

You'll be thinking of upgrading eyepieces next. :grin:

Wishing for clear skies.

Hi Mad Taff, thanks for that mini review,, just bit the bullet today and thanks to FLO, my new 200p/eq5 should be here in the next few days :grin:

Have to admit that I first showed this scope to the wife and to say she was sightly shocked is an understatement !!!- Its a big [removed word] up close but just manageable to move from spare room to garden- had to promise to sell a couple of scopes as to be honest, I don't need so many, will probably end up with 3 scopes and that will be it.

Out of interest, did the scope come well aligned or was collimation required? - reason I ask is that I've only just started with fine tuning my scopes and after buying a laser unit last week- found both the meade 4504 and the miraceti were miles out :Envy: :Envy:

Welcome to SGL, well done for getting ur first light with the 200p, its a very capable bit of kit & that size apperture is when things really start showing themselves, I love mine :grin: Your very lucky to have had clear sky straight away, the cloud goblins found out about me getting mine & rolled in for at least 10 days before I could get to use it :mad: Good luck for future observing & if u thought Jupiter was amazing just wait till u see Saturn, it'll blow ur mind :shocked: Its up & about around 2am at the moment but will get earleir as the weeks go by with opposition been in April, make the most of it as it wont be around for decent observing for a good few years after this.

Steve

Thanks everyone for your helpful comments and links. I'll have another crack at Jupiter and the Moon again tonight. For your info Spectrumdx8 I also bought my scope from FLO. They provide a very fast service. If you ordered it today you'll get it by Wednesday as they deliver with FedEx next day delivery. I used the scope without checking collimation and it focussed fine. My laser collimator arrived today so I made a quick check and the primary mirror was slightly out which I have now fixed. Cheers, phil

Brilliant, thanks for that,, really looking forward to using this scope, got email that it will be here sometime Wednesday ..

On laser collimation, I've got the next generation model(that's the box description!) the meade 4504 took all of 2 mins to adjust perfectly, yet the miraceti, which i really think is very closely related to Seben scopes - arrrrgh !! - seemed like ages before I could get it even close...

Hi congrats on your scope I started with the same setup superb. Got the same comment from the other half.

Got the bug and upgraded the mount to heq5 pro synscan.

Get up early for Saturn it will be worth the effort.

Been out in the front garden in dressing gown at 5am. Scope through the house 1/2 hour viewing session back indoors scope blocking front door back to bed all without waking the misses.

The sky at night mag has a section on where the planets and moons are through the month.

Going to get better EPs and micro focuser soon.

Enjoy your new man toy

Archived