Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Mak 127 - What next?

Good afternoon.

Okay, I'm crossing my fingers that I might get another clearish night tonight. I'm looking for some ideas of where to turn my scope next. I've done Jupiter, The Moon, M42, Sirius, and to a certain extent the Pleiades. The object will ideally be in the Southern or Northern sky between 19:30 - 23:30. Views to the east are non-existent and to the West are partially obscured by trees.

I've had a try at various objects in the Synscan's "Guided Tour" menu, but they always seem to be either behind the house or invisible to my scope.

So, your suggestions please!

Thanks in advance

James

The three Messier objects in Auriga, M36, M37 and M38 will be pretty much overhead early in the evening. Then there's M35 a little further south. Later in the evening there's M44 and M67 in Cancer. M1 might be quite tricky but is worth a go. Then there's the double cluster in Perseus. You could even return to the Moon with the Lunar 100 list in hand (there are a number of maps on the net) and make a start on that.

James

Yeah, I fully intend to try the Lunar 100. I think I'm in love with The Moon. I just wanted some other targets to continue my voyage. I certainly won't be leaving the ones I've already seen behind.

Thanks for the ideas, I particularly like the idea of the ones in Auriga. This has become one of my favourite constellations for some reason, so any excuse to explore it further is welcome :)

James

Hi James, your Mak will be brilliant for double stars.

For starters, how about - Castor, Sigma Orion, Rigel, Beta Monoceros, Eta Cass, Polaris, Algeiba (Gamma Leo), all these and so many more should be fine sights.....

Double stars are one class of objects that can be well seen with heavy light pollution or a bright moon around.

Regards, Ed.

I hadn't really thought of double stars too much, but they do sound like a fun think to hunt down. What sort of mags are needed to split them? I'm working with a 25mm and a 10mm at the moment so that's 60x and 150x mag, if I've got my maths right.

Hi again James, 60x and 150x will cover loads of double & multiple stars, as they vary so much as to how much mag needed for a split.

I'll have a look around, hopefully come back with a link or two.

Regards, Ed.

Edit - http://www.skyandtelescope.com/observing/objects/doublestars/3304626.html

Page 3 on that link has a list of double stars. I use the Cambridge Double Star Atlas myself, but there's loads of stuff on the 'net for free.....

Hi James,

I am following your post with interest as I obviously have the same scope as you. My new eyepieces have yet to be put to the test - only had an hour for a quick look at the moon the other night (amazing and going to do the 100 list) and jupiter was much clearer using my new 9mm than the 10mm supplied with the scope. Since getting my scope last month, observing has been very limited and I feel really stupid set up by my front door - but I don't feel brave enough to go out looking for less light polluted skies as hubby not really into this. I am still hoping that my two weeks in Sweden next month will give me clear skies and I can set up my scope outside without fear of someone stealing it if I nip in for a warm - as we are staying in the middle of nowhere :smiley:

As I am new to this I too will look for the double stars and take note of any further suggestions people give you :grin:

Archived