NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

What else do I need?

Amra

Hi guys, I've recently ordered a full spectrum modded Canon 1100D (on it's way) and I want to take some wide-field images before I invest in a mount & a telescope for astrophotography.

So, what else do I need for a basic setup with no tracking?

Going to borrow a camera tripod & suitable lenses from a friend, I have a laptop with Windows & decent specs, although no USB 2.0, only USB 1.1 sockets, I hope all software works okay with that?

I will do all the camera controlling from the laptop. Any tips on software would also be appreicated.

I read somewhere that I need a filter of some kind to not get stars bloated, my full spectrum mod has a clear glass replacement. So what's that about? Do I need to buy a clip-in filter and does the camera support clip-ins by default or do you buy some kind of adapter?

That's some initial questions, I'm sure there'll be more. :)

Hi guys, I've recently ordered a full spectrum modded Canon 1100D (on it's way) and I want to take some wide-field images before I invest in a mount & a telescope for astrophotography.

So, what else do I need for a basic setup with no tracking?

Going to borrow a camera tripod & suitable lenses from a friend, I have a laptop with Windows & decent specs, although no USB 2.0, only USB 1.1 sockets, I hope all software works okay with that?

I will do all the camera controlling from the laptop. Any tips on software would also be appreicated.

I read somewhere that I need a filter of some kind to not get stars bloated, my full spectrum mod has a clear glass replacement. So what's that about? Do I need to buy a clip-in filter and does the camera support clip-ins by default or do you buy some kind of adapter?

That's some initial questions, I'm sure there'll be more. :)

Software = APT http://www.ideiki.com/astro/

Also can I have such a filter in while I f.x. use a 18-55mm lens? Was thinking about just getting a light pollution filter..

Depends on what lens you will be using with the camera as to what type of shots you wish to produce.

For wide sweeping panoramas the wider the lens the better i.e a 35mm or 50mm prime f1.8 lens will give you excellent results for a relatively short shutter length. It's a very fast, wide angle prime lens ideal for landscape astrophotography. The shutter speed will be reduced even more as your EOS body is modded.

Use a remote shutter release as well or use the camera's delated shutter function to avoid any camera shake. A good strong tripod is also a must as cheaper tripods tend to wobble around if theres any wind.

Jon

Archived