NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

HEQ5 handle a 250px for visual?

I have a 250px dob and was looking for the dob base synscan upgrade kit but cant find one at a source I'd buy from.

The HEQ5 pro synscan looks like it might work and is probably within my budget.

Question is would it work ok with my scope on it? Obviously would remove the dob shoulders and add tube rings.

Assume a maximum EP weight of 1.1kg

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-mounts/skywatcher-heq5-pro-synscan.html

I assme this mount doesnt have unlockable clutches to enable manual control, slewing and that it requires permanent power to run.

Pushing it really.

The 250px is heavier than the 250 tube wise and that is borderline weight wise to be honest.

You'll probably need the extended weight bar as well in order to get balance , the 200 PDS is normally the biggest recommended tube for the HEQ5Pro.

I assme this mount doesnt have unlockable clutches to enable manual control, slewing and that it requires permanent power to run.

I have a HEQ5 and it does have clutches. I have operated it in manual mode without a power supply. Works quite nicely with the RA free and the Dec locked.

Ed

I put a 250 newt on my NEQ6 and frankly it was just too big to handle. The equatorial mount will put the focuser in some strange places and rotating a big heavy ota was just a chore. For that big a newt, the Dob base is perfect.

Archived