NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Asteroid 2012 DA14

John

I agree John - pretty impressive in bins. as usual all the experts seem to have over-exaggerated the ease of which this object would be seen by 'everyone' with most suggesting it was an easy binocular object for the average person. maybe from pristine, transparent skies.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think earlier on it would have been possible for me (if it hadn't been cloudy!) but by 9pm or so it was below mag 9 and my bins run out of steam at about 8.8 or so. Obviously the extra aperture of the 15x70's was enough to do the trick but still pretty tough to spot I imagine.

Stu

Great value, those Revelations :smiley:

Last night, instead of expressing wonder at seeing the craters and mountains of the moon around the terminator, being able to count the moons around Jupiter and so on, my 4yo simply described to me the effects of CA and went back inside. :rolleyes2:

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a bit late on this discussion but well done. I stood outside for 3 hours with my Father-in-law. We spent the whole time waiting for holes in the cloud to appear then staring at them like mad trying to spot the thing. Ended up with bins only as my scope got too dewed up. No sighting though.

Archived