Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

what does geocentric and topocentric mean?

I bought a great little android app called Galilean for phones...on this app it tracks and shows where the Galilean moons are but there are 3 settings which I have to set manually called none, geocentric or topocentric...what is this? I get its something relating to tilt...but can someone explain what this is to a newbie please and which setting should be used...I mean it only adjusts the tilt but what does it all mean...cheers Lee

That app is not using the terms geocentric and topocentric in the way they are normally understood (i.e. correctly used :wink: ). It is using them in relation to the orientation of Jupiter's axis on the display which has nothing to do with geo/topocentric. The clue is in 'geo' which means Earth!

What the app is showing (as far as I can tell) is either Jupiter with its North/South axis upright, or with the user horizon horizontal, and Jupiter tilted over at its apparent angle visually (or in with a Az-Alt scope).

Archived