Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Cheap Manual Filter Wheel

SnakeyJ

I found a very cheap manual filter wheel on Amazon and although the posted images where of two different designs, the best looked very similar design to the orion 5 x 1.25" manual so I thought it was worth a punt at £ 59.99 with 4 coloured (RBGY), 1 NDC 50% included and free postage.

181453-1343770264index.jpg

I wasn't expecting much for this price, but It arrived yesterday and I was genuinely surprised by the build quality and feel - certainly adequate for my needs at this stage! Sadly the free filters had not been shipped/included and after contacting Amazon they told me to return the package as is for refund and re-order (fullfilled by Amazon). I have sent this back and re-ordered, though somewhat reluctantly regretting the decision. I suspect that the filters would be pretty naff and as I already have a set with my Celestron EP Set Filters, so could have been up and running.

Thought it worth a mention as it seems does look a pretty good deal (regardless of filter quality or even if you never receive them). Though only one left this pm!

I got my second one today, but alas no 5 piece 1.25" filter kit - However, I haven't got the patience to return once more and would really like to go out and play with the FW. Box contents as below:

gallery_26731_2373_46796.jpg

Optical Hardware are the UK distributor and Dragonfly Optical are the reseller via their Amazon store.

There are a couple of minor marks on the powder coat to the rhs and no number marks on the disk, but otherwise this is a good solid bit of kit and excellent value for the price.

As I was a little disgruntled about the missing filter set, I did mark the feedback down and comment - and within 20 mins I had an message/e-mail back from Shane at the seller 'Dragonfly Optical Ltd' apologising and offering to send the filters out immediately. Excellent service from Shane/Dragonfly and I'm very happy with this arrangement. To be fair this is not Dragonfly's issue at all, but Amazon preventing this inital comunication with the seller in the first instance.

Not expecting too much from the filters, but I will post a picture and any relevant details on this when they come.

All credit to Shane @ Dragonfly, I had a package in the post this morning - instead of the missing 5 piece set I had a 7 piece set (with additional Lunar and Polarising filters) and a note apologising for the delay. The filters are marked on the edge with Watten codes or words and threaded both ends and presented in plastic jewel boxes. The boxes bear the expected Made in China. Quality wise they appear comparable with the set included in my Celestron EP Kit:

med_gallery_26731_2373_496230.jpg

Probably limited for visual use, but these certainly add to the armoury for those warmer less rushed evenings ahead!

For visual use a set like this is OK, but for imaging there are two things to look out for:

1. No numbers on the wheel becomes annoying, as on a monochrome camera image you cannot see which one you are using (you can easily make your own marks, I suppose)
  2. You really want (L)RGB interference filters, which I have been able to get quite cheaply from the Dutch ABS counterpart. 1.25" filter sets come up quite regularly for very little as people switch to either 2' or back to one-shot-colour imaging.

In the mean time, have fun with the new set. Nice of them to add the extra filters.

Thanks Michael - I was looking to buy a set of the 1.25" Baader CLRGB filters from Bern @ MA for £ 151. There's quite a favourable review or the 2" versions at http://panther-obser...der_LRGB.htm.�� Impressive and balanced frequency response and IR-Block coatings. The Astronomik filters also look very good, but only find individual pricing rather than set. Keen not to push my already overspent budget ;)

I will have a look for s/h sets on ABS and SGL Classifieds before I leap.

I bought a "Brightstar" manual filter wheel from "Modern Astronomy". At the time (expensive) Baader LRGB filters were out of stock? As compensation, I was semi-gifted a set of (QHY?) dichroic filters - Thanks Bern! (Colour) Imaging is doubtless a learning process. Doesn't have to be (colour) perfect, first time. ;)

A basic *manual* filter wheel is a great start. I don't find it a big deal to manually change filters, check focussing etc. Moving from LRGB to narrow band (video astronomy) is my current ambition? It's all uhm... experimental, innit? :D

Archived