NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

My latest attempts with the SPC900 & Jupiter

tingting44

Thanks Jake, the light get VERY tedious at some times i tell you, the last session i dragged our kids big trampoline over and put towls over the safety netting on the trampoline so it blocks the direct light from now getting to the scope but its not the best, would love a light gaurd, will be ringing the council this week, but one thing that might go against me is that lamp post is on a dual carriage way, so not sure how they would feel about that with safety and the lamp post is on the bend of the dual carriage way also, but can not help to ask :) i feel to get a ladder and unscrew the dam bulb some times lol, there was a point last year where the bulb run out and i could not even see my hand in front of my face how dark it was, it was bliss! but was cloudy so no scope lol, then 3 days later the council had put a new even brighter bulb in lol :(

yes hopefully it will be clear tonight as its predicted to be but is not looking good at the moment :( i think we should all do the cloud dance, it did infact work last time...mwahahahaha :D

clear skies

Martin

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking good Martin! That 3rd image is my pick as the other 2 are a little dark with a hint of onion ring. Take care to keep gain above 50% with 0 gamma and a 60-70% capture histogram.

Thanks buddy :) when you say a hint of onion ring lool do you mean round the edge? also i thought you want as less gain as you can get away with to help keep the noise down?

all the best

Martin

very good! I really wish I owned this webcam now!

thank you :) yes it is a great planetary cam, i got a good deal for my spc900 from a very nice guy on here :):D

i got WAYYYY better data tonight!!!!! only x2 3min avi's but the detail is UNREAL!!! captured the GRS lovely!! im veryyyyy chuffed lol :D

Post them up Martin - can't announce that, then keep us in suspense! How was the wind over your way? It made things a little tricky this side but very pleased with my results too.

Jake

haha sorry man! my friend came round and only just left, gave him the usual tour of the sky before he left lool, i processed it while he was here and chatting and it looks great! but im going to give it my full concentration now and go over processing again then i will post up! i couldnt believe it when i saw it, im well happy, i dont want to hype it up tooo much lol and let you down, its no C14 image but its defo by FAR my personal best! with the 130p haha but yes i couldnt be happier with tonights very short imaging session,M42 is now gone so wont be imaging that now grhh lol,

it was very windy earlier mate, but calmed down an awful lot when i was imaging

really glad you had a productive night too buddy! what were your target/s tonight mate

clear skies

Martin

edit, i must have had focus bang on tonight! as the GRS was visible via live feed on my lap top screen! with the spc900 lol i even called the mrs for a live view and she asked why is it so clear loool :D ill have to post up the original avi or atleast some of it, think its quite big

arghh getting tooo tired so not going to go over processing again tonight! will do a re post of it tomorrow tho, so here is the final image with a half attempt at PP, im very happy tho and surprised! really happy!

8451097833_a37f524d5f_o.jpg

Capture 06_02_2013 09_11_45 PM_pipp STACK PS - LR4 - RGB align by tingting44, on Flickr

all the best

Martin

edit, this is just the 1st 3 min avi, have not even looked at the 2nd one :D hopefully improvement tomorrow when i go over the data when im not tired :)

edit, looking more at this pic, think i over cooked wavelets quite a bit now, defo will re do it tomorrow

I'm quitting now, but left the scope parked and ready for Saturn if the weathers still clear first thing tomorrow. I was hoping to do a little more visual today, but seem obsessed with imaging Jupiter at the moment!

Tonight's handy work - https://www.dropbox.com/s/ps3sufaou9wxyz0/Jupiter%20Montage%2020130206.png

Much better resolution and detail than Saturday, despite the wind wobbles - worked on captures of 4800 frames, but limited to 20% and then only stacked the best 4-500 or these. Also used a deep red filter to try and improve the effects of seeing - definitely worked but dramatically slowed the FPS to 35-45 for 300x300 @ 16 bit.

isnt it annoying how jupiter takes all our time lool :D your good for getting up for saturn mate, bit too early for me, i can not wait to image saturn my 1st attempts last year were terrible looking back at the old files now lol

wow your images are awsome mate!!! i especially love the top right one!!! fantastic job!!! :D what cam are u using again? they are very good {EDIT - dont worry your using the firefly mono arnt you :) }

edit, haha thanks a lot mate for your kind words!!! :D i had a great big smile on my face when it popped out of wavelets! :)

Excellent image Martin! Might be worth trying 1.5x drizzle if you are using AS!2 to get a bit more scale and finer detail.

Morning Stuart and thank you on your kind comment :)

mhhh drizzle..........is that where it takes a percentage of the best frames and duplicates them to make more better quality frames ? i have got ASI2 but i seem to prefer (using it longer) Registax 6, R6 also has a drizzle option (x2) i think, might have to give that a go and see how it comes out :) thank you for the tip! :D

You can adjust drizzle to 1.5x in registax but personally I prefer AS!2 as its much faster and less likely to leave alignment cracks. As far as I know it uses the same frames as non drizzle. You will find wavelets will be less severe on a drizzle image which with good data can produce a more subtle natural result.

I managed to get a Philips PCVC840K (which has the same CCD chip as the SPC900 I believe) cheap off eBay, and managed to get it to work with Win7 (thanks to everyone who helped/advised on how to do that). I took a couple of quick AVIs last night and processed them in PIPP first, followed by stacking in AS2!. Both taken with a 2x Barlow on the 4SE. For the second one I choose to limit the quality to the best 1500 frames, and also did a 1.5 drizzle. Struggling to get the same level of detail as many of the posts here - maybe that's just the small scope or maybe I'm doing something fundamental in the processing?

PostPhotoShop.jpg

1.5 drizzzle...

PostPhotoShop.jpg

Any pointers on how to improve always welcome...

Thanks,

Mike

Hey Mike, grats on your images mate!!! :)

As for pointers go if you use sharpcap to capture try these settings, they made the world of difference for my last attempts above!

- [Philips SPC 900NC PC Camera]

Frame Divisor=1

Resolution=640x480

Frame Rate (fps)=10.00

Colour Space / Compression=YUY2

Exposure=-4

Brightness=64

Contrast=32

Saturation=5

Gamma=0

ColorEnable=255

BacklightCompensation=0

Gain=35

i know they are different cams but if you say they got the same chip you might just be very surpised with these settings :)

a bahtinov mask can help nail focus bang on, seeing/clouds all ways plays a big part, if you nail everything and seeing is poor you will only get images/avi as good as seeing :( also i used a x4 barlow on the above image have you got any more barlows to add? it improved my pics with extra barlow :)

i would not bother with drizzle unless you have excellent quality frames from your avi, even with my avi data from the above post i find my image looks better without drizzle, probably need better data...

and above all just practice, practice, practice :D hope to see more of your images soon

all the best

clear skies

Martin

EDIT< here is my attempt at a ASI2 x1.5 drizzle stack...

8452811337_bfc058cfe7_o.jpg

Drizzle15_Capture 06_02_2013 09_11_45 PM_pipp_g3_b3_ap39 - R6 - PS - LR - RGB by tingting44, on Flickr

going to go over this avi again with registax6 as i got better results and see if i can better the above, then ill move on to the 2nd of the avi's from last night, might even try and combine both avi's see if i can pull out any more detail with more frames, will post progress this evening

my latest re-do and best so far i think, dont think im going to be able to pull any more from this 3min avi @ 10fps....the 2nd avi was a flop, 70% of the avi was infact impared by my house roof run it but its not nice, so really lucky to get such good 3 mins in my only avi last night... :)

thanks for looking

8454344162_7e45ed8a3b_o.jpg

Capture 06_02_2013 09_11_45 PM_pipp RE-DO R6 BEST YET STACK - PS - LAYER INFO by tingting44, on Flickr

Thanks jake :) yes i know, if there was a usb2 version would be interesting to see the difference :)

thanks also bottle

i know i think i allways seem to over do them a bit in wavelets jake, i actually had a very decent image i done in ASI2 with a 1.5 drizzle but i binned it without even saving it where i was not happy with the effects wavelets was having with drizzle (less dramatic changes in wavelts, but more of a subtle natural look) thinking now the natural, subtle look might be the way to go as i allways tend to over do every image......

might have one last play with this and go for a subtle natural look and that will be it for this data i think :)

RIGHT....this has to be the last re-touch lol i dont want to over do a good thing till it gets boring to look at lol

well here is my version of a softer more natural/subtle look,

thank you klindly for looking, all the best

Clear skies

Martin

:)

x1.5 drizzle

8455874115_03abe1b3db_o.jpg

ASI2 NATURAL_Drizzle15_Capture 06_02_2013 09_11_45 PM_pipp_g3_b3_ap38 - WAVELETS - PS - LR4 by tingting44, on Flickr

Archived