Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Io Transit of Jupiter 2/2/13

SeedyF

Imagine my surprise when I had that rare combination of time and clear sky and then finding there would be a transit of Io!!

I watched (who am I kidding, I tried to watch!!) the moon's transit but I'm not sure I could actually make it out :) So I did a little observing then came back for the shadow transit. The seeing wasn't very good so not the sharpest Jupiter I have caught but the best shadow transit I have manged - the only one since I got this scope. So all in all I was quite pleased.

post-8924-0-97134900-1359904443_thumb.jppost-8924-0-03423400-1359904437_thumb.jppost-8924-0-47140900-1359904455_thumb.jp

I meant to add the capture details, Skywatcher 250 Dob + Philips SPC900

Capture in sharpcap, processed in Registax

4 min AVIs each at 10 fps

Nice captures Chris! You can clearly see the transit of the shadow.

Seeing has been a right nightmare here recently. Like looking through boiling water! What with that and removing my correcting plate to screw my secondary back in, after removing it to cleaning some large dust bunnies/swarf off of it, I've really been struggling with getting sharp images.

Brilliant image Chris! Wow. I get nothing like that resolution in my Skywatcher 200p Dob. I was just searching the forum to check whether that spot on Jupiter last night was Io transit shadow or another smaller (non Gallilean moon); anyone here know how to tell the difference for certain? Stellarium said Io was v close to limb of Jupiter but, on scolling in further, also showed smaller moons named.

Cheers

Simon

Brilliant image Chris! Wow. I get nothing like that resolution in my Skywatcher 200p Dob. I was just searching the forum to check whether that spot on Jupiter last night was Io transit shadow or another smaller (non Gallilean moon); anyone here know how to tell the difference for certain? Stellarium said Io was v close to limb of Jupiter but, on scolling in further, also showed smaller moons named.

Cheers

Simon

Simon - I use a page on sky & telescopes website to tell me when the great red spot or a transit are going to be visible. Have a look on this page http://www.skyandtelescope.com/observing/objects/javascript

If you use stelarium you should be able to go to the date & time and check as well.

Archived