Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Strange artifact during moon capture

Starflyer

Hi,

I was grabbing some images of the moon the other night and while processing one of the avi files I noticed something moving across the image.

This particular avi was taken at 19:10 on 23rd October.

I've attached some images showing the 'blob', I was capturing at 10fps and it appears on 5 frames. Is it a shadow from a plane?

2030_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

2031_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

2032_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

2033_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

2034_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Can't figure out how to get the thumbnails working on Stargazers, so apologies for the size of the images.

Cheers,

Ian

Hi Ian, I would say it is probably a sattellite but not to sure which one.

You are based in North Herts, could you be more specific with your location ie Name of town or Lat and Long? Also the time, was this 19:10 BST?

Hi David,

Location is; N 51:56:45, W 0:16:10.

Yes it's BST

The modified timestamp of the avi is 19:10:31, it was a 60 second capture and the 'blob appears 13.100 seconds to 13.500 seconds into the avi. I've just checked and the clock on the laptop is 11-12 seconds slow at the moment.

19:10:31 -(60-13.1) = 19:09:44

19:09:44 +12 second clock error = 19:09:56 ish.

Also, it probably took a couple of seconds to close the file after the capture finished. So I guess the 'event' happened around 19:09:54 ish

Hope my calculations are right :smiley:

Cheers,

Ian

Are the pics still there? All I'm seeing is 5 "click to enlarge" messages.

Hi Tony, :smiley:

They're hosted on Stargazers.com. I can't get on there at the moment - maybe there's a problem with their site, I can ping it but can't browse it from here, twas ok this morning. I'm on NTL or whatever they're called at the moment.

Cheers,

Ian

Ahhh...I remember now. I saw a post earlier about Stargazers being down this weekend. Hopefully I'll be able to see your pics on Monday. :evil:

Hi Tony,

I did wonder why I was seeing 'click-here' tags on lots of posts - it'll teach me to watch the announcements board a bit closer :smiley:

Cheers,

Ian

At about 3 arc-minutes per frame, that's 30 arc-minutes/second, that's .5*2*pi/360 = 0.0087 radians/sec

At a height of 100 miles, that's 0.87 miles/sec, not orbital velocity. At 60 miles, 100 km, that's 870m/sec, not orbital velocity.

At 10 km, 0.087km/sec, 313 km/hour, hmmm, it's probably a plane of some sort.

Archived