Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Secondary mirror marked

Hi all. I'm new to the site and stargazing I got a 2nd hand telescope a Meade 114-astr a starter scope I have been told. Ok here is a picture of my mirror could anyone help please I can't see Jupiter well i can see it but can't focus right to see it round I'm seeing it as if there is to halo's on it. Is it due to my mirror. I have used a laser collimator. A cheshire 1.25 and even the moon has a ghost to it sorry I can't explain it lol

post-28757-0-95521800-1359847617_thumb.j

I would like to say thank you your site helped me with collimating. Plus thank you I thought it was knackered I will post a picture off the main mirror I think it's ok :(

do you know a trusted a website to get a secondary mirror

I would have said Scopes 'n' Skies's Astroboot, but it's closed at the moment, and anyway that company has obtained some notoriety though the couple orders I've had from them weren't a problem. I don't know of any other places to get surplus optics in Britain.

In any case you should probably have the main mirror out for inspection first, see if it's showing similar issues.

Oh, another thing: Does yours look like the short or long tube one here? http://www.meade.com/starterscopes/eq_series.html . If it's the short, the design is one reported to often be flawed and that may account for the image problems.

post-28757-135990019321_thumb.jpg this is my scope it's the blue one L 144mm F 1000mm 8/8f. The main mirror is fine not marks like the secondary one. I found this website with a bit off google help http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p4842_GSO-50mm-secondary-mirror-with-cell---for-upgrading-and-ATM.html plus http://www.galvoptics.fsnet.co.uk/telescope6.htm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The secondary mirror is flat and elliptical. Minor marks and blemishes are not that big a problem. But if it doesn't give a good clear reflection, forget it.

As others have said, finding a replacement mirror for a low cost scope like this is going to be difficult. Really you are only going to find one if a member has a scrap scope with something suitable.

I agree that recoating is not worthwhile on a scope of this calibre.

I think you would be better off saving your money and picking up a 2nd hand scope from this site when you have the posts & time. Or use UK astrobuysell. Ebay is only useful if you really know what you are looking for, or can view before paying. There is a lot of rubbish on there.

Hope this helps, David.

Archived