NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

EP's and Barlow for Skymax 127

McMoon

Had a couple of nights out with my new SM127 now and even before I got it I was thinking about upgrading the optical quality on the EP's.

For a budget of cira £100 are the Televue plossl's the best way to go? Obviously this is based on prices for new ones.

Also, on the barlow, is the SW supplied one really that poor and is this too worthy of a upgrade? What should I be looking at here?

I have an astro event in two weeks time so I may see someone out there with a comparable scope but optically superior on the EP's so if I set up side by side, I may just see the difference myself or even if a beg a lend of thier EP's.

You could also consider the BST Starguider range as I found them to be excellent with my mak 127- very good eye relief and crystal clear views,,

Got the 8mm 18mm and 25mm- used with the barlow supplied with the 127 gives me a good range and seems to suit the scope well,,

You could also consider the BST Starguider range as I found them to be excellent with my mak 127- very good eye relief and crystal clear views,,

Got the 8mm 18mm and 25mm- used with the barlow supplied with the 127 gives me a good range and seems to suit the scope well,,

Do you see any need for something 25+ on the 127?

I'd be tempted to have a look at the Baader Classic Orthos, though they'll quite possibly not have enough eye relief if you have to wear glasses to observe.

James

No glasses for me...well, not yet anyway!

A 32mm GSO/revelation plossl @ about £30 plus an 18mm BST @ £47 would work well, and if you could stretch your budget a little add an ortho around £50 in the 7mm size and you would have most stuff covered

A 32mm GSO/revelation plossl @ about £30 plus an 18mm BST @ £47 would work well, and if you could stretch your budget a little add an ortho around £50 in the 7mm size and you would have most stuff covered

Good call on the 7mm :police:

Another vote here for the BST Starguiders, if you're going for a 7mm I'd get the 8mm BST, it gets rave reviews and will give 187 x mag whereas the a 7mm gives 214 x which you'd be lucky to use very often.

Just my thoughts of course :grin:

good luck

Yep,

Think the 8 is a better bet. As for the barlow, apart from the painfully obvious, what will a x3 give me over a x2? Given the EP's I'll have, I only see a need for the x2 but I have an astro cam on its way and there will be times I'll be viewing the skies using my lap top screen. Would a x3 be of any advantage with an astro cam installed?

I don't know about the BSTs but I do have the 6mm Baader classic and last night it gave me my best view of Jupiter. I'm no expert but the contrast was good. Jupiter was nice and bright with a nice dark background with some good detail on its well defined orb.

Am looking at maybe the 18mm next.

The barlow that came with my scope isn't that bad but i'm sure there are better ones. When I had my SW mak 90 the 25mm I thought was pretty good but it was f13.9, now i'm at f5 suddenly it's not so good.

Paul

Archived