Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First session of the year

Ganymede12

Today was the first truly clear night of the year and I have just had a very enjoyable session. I had my first look at the Orion Nebula through my 200P Dob and I was completely amazed! Then I spent about half an hour searching for the Crab Nebula but following TLAO's instructions and using my new binoculars I managed to find it for the first time. It was very faint but it was definitely there! Finally I turned to Ursa Major for my first glimpse of Bode's Nebula and the Cigar Galaxy (M81 and M82). I was stunned at their clarity when I found them and didn't want to leave the eyepiece! I have mad a few sketches and ticked them off my list. All in all A very successful first night of the year. :)

M81 and M82 are a very fine and contrasting pair of galaxies. Worth time at the eyepiece.

If you sky is reasonably dark, spend more time and use maps to see if you can locate another two galaxies in the area. NGC 3077 and NGC 2976 are only one field of view away (depending on magnification used) from their more illustrious neighbours. They don't give much away but its nice to see a number of galaxies close together.

There is much more of this to enjoy when Virgo has risen. there are galaxies all over the place, many within reach of more modest scopes.

Congratulations! That's a great haul of first observations. All are awesome to view...from stunning to faint. M81/82 are such a fun contrast that I love going back and forth between them. As your experience with observing increases keep coming back to some of your "old friends" to view them in a different light.

Happy hunting!

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

Archived