NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Revelation 15x70 binos - unexpected eBay win!

furrysocks

Bid up a quid on the only other bid - was SURE it said I'd been outbid so I left it, not wanting to pay any more and half-glad I was outbid as I couldn't really justify another astro-purchase to my wife. I got some poor quality 10x50s for £5 a couple of weeks ago and said I'd make do with them for the time being... however...

Got back from being out to find an email saying I'd won! £36 + £9 P&P, so 25% off new for "as-new" binos.

I hope I enjoy them... ;)

Tut-tut! That'd be an outright fib - I'd get my Lego taken away for a week!

I kept the fact that I'm building a ruddy great binoscope quiet, at least until her pregnancy was over - similar thing, she didn't need to know I wasn't just drinking out beer in the workshop, but spending cash on mirrors, materials and what-not, too! ;) Made for some anxious moments when I was waiting for the postie/couriers to come by...

Honesty is the best policy.

With any luck, she'll get a good view or two through them, too and I will be (partly) forgiven. I'll have to make up the rest with chocolate and foot rubs.

I didn't feel *so* bad when they arrived today...

She'd just got another baby-wearing sling-thing via courier (which cost more than my bins, I should add), so she was on a high with that. Postie then brought two boxes, one addressed to me (obviously my bins) and one for her.

Unfortunately, she opened that to find it was a copy of TLAO that I'd bought whlie logged into her Amazon account and then she promptly said about the other box, "that'll be your new binoculars, then..."

Oops! All is well, though. ;)

For about 10 minutes last night, I got a couple of small breaks in the cloud - enough to see stars with the naked eye, anyway. First star viewed leaning on the fence post, I couldn't get the images to merge - and one kept dancing around. I got the broom out anyway. Looked up slightly to the west of Ursa Major and saw hundreds of stars when I could only see half a dozen with the naked eye. No signs of double image but wasn't rock-steady on the broom, though. I'll check them out again when it's clear and I've knocked up a tripod.

Nuts how much you can see through cloud with these things! Well, you know what I mean... ;)

Is a saving of 25% buying a pair of binos you've not looked through worth it if it means going through the hassle of collimating them? Perhaps.

(PS. I may have just found a trainee foot rubber locally who is looking for practice feet to rub! :cheesy: )

If there's no double image you did well, especially if you can escape the foot rub thing:)

I have those binocs, as well as 20x80 and find I don't use the 20x80s really. Must sell them now that I think of it.

Barry

Archived