Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Attic Observatory

The Sailor

Looks excellent Jim especially with the scope poking out the roof. :grin:

Thanks Tich, thought you would like my new anti-cloud cannon :D

out of interest, how did you handle the flashing issue when replacing the velux with plywood/clear plastic, to prevent water leakage? I'm not sure i follow how you modified that...

The Velux was installed as normal, I opened the window, rotated it and took it out, changed my underpants, took the glass unit out of the frame and replaced the frame as normal. I measured the glass unit, cut the plywood to fit and put the plywood in instead of the glass.

I will get some more photos of the new setup, as I have got the floor done I am quite happy with it and feel that I cannot achieve anything better so thank for that :)

Jim

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A photo paints a thousand words, well I hope so :)

Plywood shield instead of glass, still to be properly waterproofed, metal handles help in moving panel.

Window can still be opened as normal.

Rails to move mount into position, once the front hits the wall the mount will be in the same position each time, the trailing leg is locked into position, no movement. The table does not interfere with the operation of the mount and holds all necessary tools.

The mount in the parked position, allows change of OTA before moving forward and out.

Still an ongoing project, plenty of things to do but still operational :).

Jim

Looks like real progress Jim. I think this may be a solution for many with obsy challenges. I am now getting really motivated to build my obsy in the loft.

I have a 200PDS reflector as my main imaging scope so will need a large Velux; probably a 134cm x 140cm; :eek: big and heavy...

Taking note of your challenges around extracting the glass (from a slightly smaller unit) I enquired at the local glazing company that have done some work on my place. They said for a small charge they would remove the glazing unit from the frame. I think I will go for a polycarbonate replacement.

Did the glass slide out or lift out of the frame and does your ply slide in?

The glazers said there are a lot springs and bits that require careful handling when replacing the glazing, was that what you found?

The guy who used polycarbonate seemed to just slide it in and out of the frame, not sure if he modified the frame as my existing 30 year old Velux units definitely don't have slide out glass. :confused:

Tony, my window is 114 x 118 and it very heavy, the lad installing it said it was easy peasy for one man to take the frame in and out, he needed my assistance to get it in and fiddling about with that heavy weight at chest height was no laughing matter.

Okay, the window centre pivots and came out with the help of a hoist, when I got it to the rear I found that all that held the glass unit in the frame was eight selftapping screws, undone them and the window came off the rubber with no effort, two pieces of metal shielding came off as well, no spings or anything else to hinder operation.

The upper metal shielding stayed with the frame thus when I have the plywood shield in I put it through the window and then bring it back up and under the the upper shielding on the frame and it falls into place, the inside has three pieces of wood to stop sideways and downward movement, everything sits flush.

Tony, I would take a look at what your window is going to look like and see how the glass unit comes out BEFORE you put it in, you could take the glass out yourself and knock up a shield replacement and not only save you money but also a broken back .

There is one thing I must mention here and that is viewing, if I have the mount all the way out I cannot see North or South without getting out on the roof, so sometimes I wil have to move the mount if a foot or so to enable me to actually see , something I will report back on.

Hope that has answered some questions :)

Jim

I so like your set up :grin: It's not armchair astronomy nor is it going outside to your scope but maybe this is the new inbetween??? I just luv the idea of not getting out of my moccasins to observe :grin:

BTW well done for seeing it through Top stuff :-)

Well after a good hard bit of thinking I have decided to get rid of the garden observatory and move kit and all into the attic as I believe I have a solid platform ithere for AP. I will be takeing down the observatory but leaving the pier for days when it's okay for solar work, this will give the wife back a bit of garden.

Jim

Thanks Gina, all is looking good, have overcome a couple minor problems but all is well now, put the last screw into the room at the back yesterday and just filling the shelves up now :).

Tony, thank you, now the cost of putting in my Velux complete was £585, a lot of work had to be done, a main brace across the roof had to be cut out and the roof joists had to be doubled either side, a neat job was done.

Jim

Good info Jim thanks; so it looks like I need to budget for about double the cost of the Velux unit to cover a typical install. Coincidently I have just finished flooring and insulating the whole attic. I plan to put the opening as high and close to the ridge as possible on the east side (that's the rear of the property so should keep the boss happy), that way I'll see more of the sky over the ridge to the west. I'll start a new thread and post some drawings.

Good info Jim thanks; so it looks like I need to budget for about double the cost of the Velux unit to cover a typical install. Coincidently I have just finished flooring and insulating the whole attic. I plan to put the opening as high and close to the ridge as possible on the east side (that's the rear of the property so should keep the boss happy), that way I'll see more of the sky over the ridge to the west. I'll start a new thread and post some drawings.

As you can see from some of the photos I done mine about the middle of the roof, with the joists doubled and flooring mine is chest height and as yours am facing directly east :)

Jim

Tonight was the first real night that I have had in the observatory, all went well, everything worked satisfactory, could not have asked for better, cloud ended it in the end.

Having a peek

The one good thing which I was happy about was the LP, the lights below me did not cause a problem :).

Jim

Archived