Skywatcher Synscan firmware (poll)

knobby

V3.27 vs V3.32  

20 members have voted

1. 1. To update or to not update

• yes
    • no
    • still unsure

I have just received a Skywatcher 300p truss goto dobo. I will probably wait a few months to see if there are any teething problems with the new firmware. Also I am very pleased with the pointing accuracy of the goto so am reluctant to fix something that isn't broken. Do you happen to know what enhancement this update will give to an Alt AZ goto mount?

Having tried three different serial/usb adaptors to no avail I never bothered in the end , still on V3.0.

Can't say I'll be trying again soon , mount position pinned on patio and drift aligned giving 4 min+ subs unguided so no need for the fancy PA bit anyway . . .

I have just re-installed 3.27. I had a lot of trouble with the latest update. Poor pointing accuracy and lots of seemingly confused backwards and forwards movements. I do believe in the view "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!". Just my experience perhaps, dunno if anyone else has had my experience?

i have updated to the latest version a couple of days ago, found it ok, but i have, or it has a real problem concerning the button lights on the handset, on the old version you could adjust the brightness of the buttons which is usefull if you in a dark place and can`t see which button your pressing, but on the new version the buttons are totally dark and there doesn`t seem to be a function in the utilitys menu to adjust or brighten the buttons up.

very annoying,

anyone help ?

I upgraded mine & I've had no problems, I am a believer in the "if it aint broke don't fit it" but I think the polar align feature may prove very useful for me as I have to set up on a lawn, although at the moment it's more like a bog!!! I still haven't had a chance to try the new PA feature out yet due to the weather so I guess time will tell but I've had no problems finding targets after doing a rough polar align then 2 star alignment.

My only initial problem was updating the handset as the USB serial converter was hopeless but my Dell laptop is fitted with a serial port so I updated it via that & it worked straight away.

Thanks for all the responses, I had a quick tester this morning to seen if my USB to serial will talk to the handset...

bingo, it does! So i might just go for it tonight .

As some of you have pointed out, I can always reflash 3.27 if needed.

Cheers.

i have updated to the latest version a couple of days ago, found it ok, but i have, or it has a real problem concerning the button lights on the handset, on the old version you could adjust the brightness of the buttons which is usefull if you in a dark place and can`t see which button your pressing, but on the new version the buttons are totally dark and there doesn`t seem to be a function in the utilitys menu to adjust or brighten the buttons up.

very annoying,

anyone help ?

Setup mode, handset settings. You adjust the LED back light. You can also do the contrast as well.

Setup mode, handset settings. You adjust the LED back light. You can also do the contrast as well.

did notice the contrast and the led settings for the read out panel but when i tried to adjust these only the read out panel changed, may be it`s me i`ll have another go later

I'll be interested to see what you think. I'm running V3.27 on an EQ mount and I can't realy see what benefit I'd get by upgrading. (The fact that I'm a newbie probably doesn't help...)

The improvements are supposed to be ...

New polar alignment routine

... It's newer, It must be better :grin:

honestly, I don't know !

Archived