NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Startravel ST120 on AZ3

The AZ-4 would be a much steadier mount for the ST120 than an AZ-3, from someone who has used both !

The AZ-3 is OK up to around a 45 degree angle and then the scope's weight tends to pull the alt axis back unless the bolt is really tightened hard, which then makes smooth movement difficult. The counter weighting modification will help this but would be a necessity to make the AZ-3 / ST120 pairing an entirely satisfying one, in my opinion.

You can get an AZ-4 on an aluminum tripod if weight is a big issue.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not to steal the OPs thread, but that was my thought process exactly - I wanted a sturdy, lightweight mount for a large aperture, fast f/ ratio telescope. The AZ4 was the locial choice, along with the Vixen Porta II. The price difference settled it, and I opted for the aluminum version for the lesser weight alone - If I buy at heavy EQ mount later on, the AZ will become part of my "ultra light goto" setup.

I just got mine (OTA ) from Rother Valley today :smiley: (spotted it on ebay - only one I found in UK who have OTA). Bigger than I expected - its not much smaller than my 150p - but quite manageable,

An earlier post asked about a case. Anybody know if there is one that would do.

I just got mine (OTA ) from Rother Valley today :smiley: (spotted it on ebay - only one I found in UK who have OTA). Bigger than I expected - its not much smaller than my 150p - but quite manageable,

An earlier post asked about a case. Anybody know if there is one that would do.

I just use a sports bag to carry my ota around in.

If anyone wants pics of the bar that fits into the az3 i'll load them onto drop box, also think I have the drawing to make the bar..Did I send them to you Steve_Bham??.

I put a scopestuff dovetail puck onto the bar, the nuts underneath fit quite happily into the gaps, medium dovetail bar onto the scope rings and sorted.

It is on the az3 limit and works well on skytee or az4.

If anyone wants pics of the bar that fits into the az3 i'll load them onto drop box, also think I have the drawing to make the bar..Did I send them to you Steve_Bham??.

I put a scopestuff dovetail puck onto the bar, the nuts underneath fit quite happily into the gaps, medium dovetail bar onto the scope rings and sorted.

It is on the az3 limit and works well on skytee or az4.

Hi yes it was me you sent the drawings too :)

Ordered from FLO this morning paid a little extra and will have it tomorrow. Weather currently has clear skies from 5pm to 2am so may even get to use it on the day of delivery. That's unheard of!

Thanks Martin at FLO for great customer service.

Just got the scope. It's great! Hopefully be clear tonight.

When I was shopping around I was struggling to get an idea for size of this scope so for the next person like me who has been searching but couldnt find anything on the net here are some pictures of the ST120 scope compared to an ST80 on an AZ3

Also people say the scope doesnt sit well on this mount because near zenith the mount head doesnt hold the weight. All you need to do is put a quarter of a turn on the tension bolt and look below! holds the weight fine.

post-19910-0-38507300-1359811203_thumb.j

post-19910-0-46336700-1359811825_thumb.j

post-19910-0-80406400-1359811850_thumb.j

Just got the scope. It's great! Hopefully be clear tonight.

When I was shopping around I was struggling to get an idea for size of this scope so for the next person like me who has been searching but couldnt find anything on the net here are some pictures of the ST120 scope compared to an ST80 on an AZ3

Also people say the scope doesnt sit well on this mount because near zenith the mount head doesnt hold the weight. All you need to do is put a quarter of a turn on the tension bolt and look below! holds the weight fine.

I think you will enjoy your new scope!

I'm sure I've used mine nearer the zenith than that :)

However, yes, tightening the bolt does help. You'll probably find it works loose again after a short while so you'll need to keep nipping it up every so often.

James

I'm sure I've used mine nearer the zenith than that :)

However, yes, tightening the bolt does help. You'll probably find it works loose again after a short while so you'll need to keep nipping it up every so often.

James

....... and the bolt / washers / axis gradually wear because it's overloaded so you need to tighten more and more each time. The AZ-3 is a great mount for light, short scopes (I've owned 3 AZ-3's !) but it does have it's limits.

I swapped my long slow motion cables for much shorter ones which I found reduced vibration overall as they don't bounce around for a while after being touched.

Archived