NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Startravel ST120 on AZ3

Literally about to place about to place an order for this scope and just fielding some last minute feedback on users of this scope.

Its replacing an ST80 ona camera tripod. I want it as a portable scope to take around with me. I've found the ST80 a little wanting in my collection and wanted something with a little more apeture.the ST80 struggles to pick up the magnification because of its incredibly short 400mm FL, I appreciate 600 mm FL isnt much improvement but it is some (50% in fact). I dont like the focuser on the ST80 either and the St120 has a crayford which is much improved from my personal experience. I find the ST80 view pleasing but would like to pick out a little more fine detail in clusters and DSO. I will also use it for planetary/moon but I know the CA will be killer, but I dont mind this so much - will it be much worse than the ST80? I hear ramping up the magnification actually reduces the CA a little. The scope has a highest practical mag of 240x, i doubt this is really acheivable but something around 150-180 is probably where ill use it for planets and moon.. It's a decent enough trade off (the CA) considering the scope should give nicer views of DSO and open clusters than an F10 achro.

I had considered getting a Mak of some kind but nothing really fits the bill for this price range (dont want to spend more then £250). I wanted Alt Az, slow mo controls if possible and similar widefield views to the ST80.

So i'm mostly convinced, just wondering if there is any other gem I should be looking at, or maybe there's a better portable option that gives views like what im after.

Thanks

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My ST120 came (new) with a rack and pinion focuser, not a crayford. It's still far better than the ST80 one though. It's perhaps a little undermounted on the AZ3, but that's not been a problem for me other than when viewing things near the zenith.

James

I've got the same scope and its def a keeper. The views are great from the scope and the CA isn't that bad. I've viewed Jupiter last night with a 5mm eyepiece and very little CA was showing.

I'm going to get a semi apo filter from flo to get rid of the tiny amount thats left.

When viewing the moon then the CA is much more noticeable.

The mount is OK for a quick grab go but long term I am looking at getting a GOTO mount and vixen porta to replace the az3.

The focuser isn't to bad to be honest, with all these cloudy nights I stripped it down removed the standard gung that was used and used lithium grease, now works a treat, and I don't feel any need to replace it.

I've just remembered that someone did a mod for the AZ3 where the scope was a little too heavy (as in this case). The idea was to add a small counterweight to the front to help with balance.

James

I too had an st120, firstly on az3, fitted plate & puck so dovetail could be used. Great scope, bullet proof for travel, shrugs off snow sand and dog slobber.

I could not justify buying a UHC filter to corect ca which was nearly 50% of the OTA Cost!!

Cheers

I added a plate and a dove tail adaptor so I can leave the scope rings on the scope. post-4012-135965674223_thumb.jpg

Do you just have a block there that fits inside the original mount head? I have been looking at doing something similar with mine, but with a larger plate so the dovetail adaptor is better supported, but it's quite awkward to avoid fouling the slow-mo adjuster on the other side :(

James

You remove it from the rings, they stay fixed to the mount. But a quick mod to fit a dove tail shoe allows for easy removal.

Yes, as delivered the rings bolt to the AZ3 head and the scope can be removed from them. If you want to swap it between scopes or swap scopes on the mount though it's much easier to use dovetails.

James

Yes, as delivered the rings bolt to the AZ3 head and the scope can be removed from them. If you want to swap it between scopes or swap scopes on the mount though it's much easier to use dovetails.

James

I was assuming the scope would keep its rings attached with a dovetail bar and i'd just fit this to the mount when needed. That's what I want so the puck and plate mod looks like what I'll do. Where can I find a good saddle/puck? FLO has some but they are pricey.

I was assuming the scope would keep its rings attached with a dovetail bar and i'd just fit this to the mount when needed. That's what I want so the puck and plate mod looks like what I'll do. Where can I find a good saddle/puck? FLO has some but they are pricey.

I think mine came from Sky's the Limit.

James

Cool, I'll have to muster up a plate from somewhere. Think my dad might've made one from titanium before he retired from his work. If not are they cheap/easy to find?

I got mine made as I'm totally useless at metal work! But if you can do it will be fairly cheap.

Cool, I'll have to muster up a plate from somewhere. Think my dad might've made one from titanium before he retired from his work. If not are they cheap/easy to find?

When I made one for my EQ3-2 (the older model that doesn't have a dovetail adaptor as standard) I bought a piece of aluminium plate from ebay, then cut it to shape and tapped out the fixing holes myself.

James

Archived