Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Celestron 31035 Astromaster 76EQ Reflector Telescope

Right, i have found a really good scope Celestron Astromaster 76EQ at £71.99 its stats are:

• Optical Design: Newtonian Reflector
  • Aperture: 76 mm (2.99")
  • Focal Length: 700 mm (35")
  • Focal Ratio: 9.21
  • Eyepiece 1: 20 mm (0.79")
  • Magnification 1: 35 x
  • Eyepiece 2: 10 mm (0.39")
  • Magnification 2: 70 x
  • Finderscope: Built-on StarPointer
  • Mount: CG-2 Equatorial
  • CD ROM: The Sky L1
  • Tripod: 1.25" steel tube legs
  • Weight: 8.16 kg
  • Highest Useful Magnification: 180 x

seems good to me..... but is it?

Anyone own or have used one?

advice?

Equatorial tripod btw

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll chime in, and even with meager experience, I'd steer away from it. The 76mm is really about 50mm something after you consider the primary mirror obstruction. If this is your first astronomy purchase, I'd suggest a good pair of binoculars. I bought mine 18 years ago and they still serve me well.

Also, the mount is likely not to be good at that price. If you care to explore a bit the astronomy side of things, why not try a Celestron Firstcope? I've seen them at £25-50. They offer the same aperture, a lower f/ratio and are decently mounted for low power viewing.

As long as you stay within reasonable limits, the view is actually decent - I used mine to take a peek at Jupiter and the Galilean moons this evening (in twilight conditions, no less), as if you stick to lowish powers (around 100 max) you'll be having a ball exploring the sky at a low low low cost. Also, it's a tabletop scope - mine is mostly used on my home office window.

im also looking at SkyWatcher Capricorn-70/900 EQ1 Telescope its stats are:

• Magnifications (with eyepieces supplied): x36, x72, x90, x180

• Highest Practical Power (Potential): x140

• Objective Lens Diameter: 70mm

• Telescope Focal Length: 900mm (f/12.8)

• Eyepieces Supplied (1.25"): 10mm & 25mm

• X2 Barlow Lens

• Red Dot finder

• 1.25"/31.7mm Star Diagonal

• Multi-Coated Objective Lens

• EQ1 Equatorial Mount

• Aluminium Tripod with Accessory Tray

• Tube material: Aluminium

• 36% more Light Gathering than 60mm

is this any better?

Is it your first telescope? How much do you want to spend?

If we are talking sub 100 quid, I'd ditch the whole EQ mount idea..

I'd recommend you get this one or the Celestron version (look on amazon or Ebay if you wish, they are mass-produced anyway), and spend the rest of the money on a good astronomy book. I have a similar one to this, and I'm able to see Jupiter and it's moons, the moon is always mesmerizing, and some brighter deep sky objects. It's surprisingly portable, and very decent at lowish powers (sub 100).

This one also seems to be a fair intro to the hobby at £125 - http://www.firstlightoptics.com/reflectors/skywatcher-skyhawk-1145p.html

You'll use it all on your first week, but it will help you form an idea of what you want. Basically, my second scope set me for almost £500, and it is still cheap, given the scope of things.

However, do not dismiss the portability factor - I've cranked out the little scope almost every other day - I certainly wouldn't be able to do that on a larger one (which incidentally put me off of large reflectors).

Also, do look for the Celestron Travelscope 70mm. It will be similarly priced to the cheaper one I linked, albeit a refractor on a Alt-az mount. You can carry it in a backpack with you.

I may still get one as a vacation scope.

Oh, and for all £85 quid, if you want to be entertained, you can get

1. A FirstScope 76mm / Heritage 76mm / Travelscope 70 mm

2. A good book to learn the ropes

3. You might be able to find a cheapo webcam to mod and take images with said scope - check this thread out

Also, google Stellarium - a freeware planetarium program, it will help you decide what to look at, and provide maps of the sky in real time.

Some good input from Tiago here. It's really difficult to get a scope that will satisfy for very long for under £100 to be honest. Give you a taste of whats there, yes, but you will soon outgrow it if the "bug" bites.

For less than a 100 then as John says, you will soon outgrow any scope and will even sooner be using the EQ1 as a hat stand. But for the same cash a half good set of binos can be had which will maybe stay with you throughout your scope career. 15x70 Revelations for example.

£200 will get you more on the way with a scope.

Jupiter can be seen easily, I've not had any luck with Saturn (never pointed at it). Just don't expect to see it like in the photos on magazines or the internet. It will be small as a pin, but your eyes will pick up the detail.

You can get something that will show that Saturn has rings and that Jupiter has a couple of cloud belts and 4 bright moons. That would be about it on those objects. To see more detail (eg: Jupiters Great Red Spot) you need a larger aperture (diameter of the main lens or mirror) scope. Even these large planets will appear very small in the scope though.

Small scopes can be a good intro to the hobby but what can be seen with them is limited and you will soon be hungry for more.

So essentially to properly view satern and Jupiter I can't on my budget? Properly meaning rings, spot ect

Properly is a relative term here, your man with a 16" dob always wants more 'propper' views, but for what I think you are expecting you will struggle with that money, sucks i know. The second hand market maybe worth a look, you may get a used 130 reflector for similar money. That aperture will be closer to what you require.

I havnt looked through a scope in a good while but if you can get to it 130mm is a usefull size for a reflector. Double your budget and your cooking. Easy said, I know

Age is less important, Condition is everything. Find a seller who cares, most people in astro are good honest people, find one of them and you wont go wrong. Prices on fleabay at the moment seem a little high, try looking on astrobuysell.com/uk, good site with wide choice.

If it's in good order yes, Skywatcher have produced a few 130 mm (5 inch) reflectors and to my knowledge none have been outright turkeys. It'll have greater resolution than a 3 inch scope like the ones you're looking at new which means more detail on the planets, and almost three times the light grasp which means more deep-sky objects will be visible. Of course this assumes it isn't damaged or a lemon. Also bear in mind to get the best out of a reflector you might need to collimate it.

If you are to buy new then I'd say a great choice is a pair of 10x50, or possibly 7x50 or 8x40, binoculars. Though their capabilities are modest they'll be compact and easy to use. If you are set on a scope then in your budget I'd say your options in general are:

70 mm 'normal' refractor. Not especially compact but I think an OK general purpose instrument (considering the budget, all your options are limited compared to larger and more expensive scopes).

70 mm short tube refractor. More compact and nice for low-power deep sky observing, but chromatic aberration will mean it won't be as good for planetary observing though you can use a 'minus violet' filter (or a cheaper #8 light yellow) to improve things. Both normal and short tube refractors in this price range are liable to be on flimsy mounts that will make using them an exercise in patience especially at high power.

76 mm tabletop Dobsonian (eg Skywatcher Heritage 76). Nice stable mount (though only as steady as the table you put it on!) and good for low power deep sky observing again but from what I've heard these may struggle at high magnifications due to spherical mirrors. The cheapest option leaving money for another eyepiece or other accessories.

76 mm tripod-mounted Newtonian. An OK general purpose instrument but I'm not sure I'd pick it over a 70 mm refractor, and again liable to be on a poor mount.

Hi

I have the Astromaster 76eq telescope. (now upgraded to a SW Explorer 150 EQ3 pro)

You can see Saturns rings through it and Jupiter and its moons- I've even seen the ring nebula, however that was a misty patch rather than a polo mint!

You would need a Telrad to make it useable, the finder that comes with it is worse than useless, as is the 10mm eyepiece

If it's in good order yes, Skywatcher have produced a few 130 mm (5 inch) reflectors and to my knowledge none have been outright turkeys. It'll have greater resolution than a 3 inch scope like the ones you're looking at new which means more detail on the planets, and almost three times the light grasp which means more deep-sky objects will be visible. Of course this assumes it isn't damaged or a lemon. Also bear in mind to get the best out of a reflector you might need to collimate it.

If you are to buy new then I'd say a great choice is a pair of 10x50, or possibly 7x50 or 8x40, binoculars. Though their capabilities are modest they'll be compact and easy to use. If you are set on a scope then in your budget I'd say your options in general are:

70 mm 'normal' refractor. Not especially compact but I think an OK general purpose instrument (considering the budget, all your options are limited compared to larger and more expensive scopes).

70 mm short tube refractor. More compact and nice for low-power deep sky observing, but chromatic aberration will mean it won't be as good for planetary observing though you can use a 'minus violet' filter (or a cheaper #8 light yellow) to improve things. Both normal and short tube refractors in this price range are liable to be on flimsy mounts that will make using them an exercise in patience especially at high power.

76 mm tabletop Dobsonian (eg Skywatcher Heritage 76). Nice stable mount (though only as steady as the table you put it on!) and good for low power deep sky observing again but from what I've heard these may struggle at high magnifications due to spherical mirrors. The cheapest option leaving money for another eyepiece or other accessories.

76 mm tripod-mounted Newtonian. An OK general purpose instrument but I'm not sure I'd pick it over a 70 mm refractor, and again liable to be on a poor mount.

so something like SKYWATCHER CAPRICORN-70 TELESCOPE?

Archived