Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Astronomy Watches

laser_jock99

I have been looking for a practical wrist watch for astro time keeping for some time and eventually settled on this model

10010204-3.jpg

It's a cheap watch obtainable on E-bay for a tenner but has easilly read dials and a red LED display kind of hidden in the face of the watch. Seems reasonably well made, I'll see how long it lasts!

Any other suggestions for 'astro watches'?

iv got a casio protrek with barometer, altemeter and an apparent weather prediction thats always out, but id be lost with out my watch when observing expessially with the 10 alarms i uselyl set one for 1 min before an irridium flare and one 10 seconds before

Watches.... hm... that does ring a bell... damn this memory of mine...

Ah, I got it! Aren't those the things people used to wear on their wrists before smartphones were invented? Yes, I remember them from my childhood!

:tongue:

Steve

iv got a casio protrek with barometer, altemeter and an apparent weather prediction thats always out, but id be lost with out my watch when observing expessially with the 10 alarms i uselyl set one for 1 min before an irridium flare and one 10 seconds before

Great watches I used to have one, the 10 daily alarms were great for ending E-Bay auctions. Sadly mine was lost at sea off Alderney.....it's probably still working somewhere on the sea bed!

• 1 month later...

I just discovered another advantage of this watch. Since the mechanical and digital are separate entities you can leave one running in GMT and one running BST.

Now the clocks have gone forward the red LED display can stay in GMT so I can see the 'real' time at night. Handy for setting up the EQ6 handset.

I have a Seiko divers with a bright orange dial and 'radioactive' hands and numerals, dead easy to see in the dark. Keeps good time and I reset it once a month.

Always had Seiko's, my oldest was bought back as a birthday present when I was 11, still working after 47 years.

LOL when I was in nuclear powered submarines we had to lock away some watches in a lead lined box so they would not raise the background count and upset devices that were used to detect plate leakage in the reactor. Our health physicist would check all crews watches.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived