Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Future eyepiece upgrade advice - SWE200P/Eq5

Hi All!

Firstly, I just want to say that i am in no hurry at all to upgrade the equipment I have. I haven't even got to first light yet! (maybe tonight if i am lucky)

This being the case it may seem stupid to ask for upgrade advice, but i assure you there is method to my madness. :)

Scanning through the websites and looking at all the eyepieces is quite daunting for a Noob. As i am sure you are all well aware, there is a vast range of choices. some or even most of which, come with a hefty price tag.

I basically want to start my research into eyepieces (and also filters, but il leave that for another thread) now, so when the day comes, and i feel the need to upgrade, i can make an educated well informed choice and have the peace of mind that I know, well, whats what.

So, if anyone wants to leave advice, tips or tricks to help a beginner, or rather join a beginner on his (long) journey through the world of astronomy, please feel free.

Many thanks

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hu Jez,

Warthogs guide on the forum is a great start. If you can join a local astro club do so access to local folk & experience and also kit viewing.

Then if you do want to purchase set your budget ;-

1. BST Explorers - great value for money along with celestron xcels. (c £50 or less BST to £70 for the xcels)

2. Baader hyperion (£100ish)

3. Any further = deep pockets!.......

Good luck!

Cheers

Hu Jez,

Warthogs guide on the forum is a great start. If you can join a local astro club do so access to local folk & experience and also kit viewing.

Then if you do want to purchase set your budget ;-

1. BST Explorers - great value for money along with celestron xcels. (c £50 or less BST to £70 for the xcels)

2. Baader hyperion (£100ish)

3. Any further = deep pockets!.......

Good luck!

Cheers

Il check out the guide. Thanks for the info Damnut! I assume the ep's you mentioned are all good with the setup I have?

Thanks

Il check out the guide. Thanks for the info Damnut! I assume the ep's you mentioned are all good with the setup I have?

Thanks

Hi, the Baader Hyperions are not such a good choice for f/5 in my opinion, but the others suggested are great choices.

Hi, the Baader Hyperions are not such a good choice for f/5 in my opinion, but the others suggested are great choices.

Hi Robin,

Wow thats a first, the more EXPENSIVE ones are not such a good choice haha :) is there a specific reason why? for reference. thanks.

Also, another question to pick everyones brains on. If you only had the choice of one EP upgrade, what would it be? and what are the reasons behind your choice? I am really interested in everyones opinion

Depends what you want to observe, ie. DSOs, Planets, Lunar, double stars.

when you say one upgrade, do you mean one upgrade of a set of e/ps or one individual eyepiece ?

Hi Rory, thanks for your interest.

Just One EP. not a set. Although id be interested to hear any opinions on sets as well. But it does seem if you buy a set you'll always be getting somethings you dont need or want. I maybe wrong.

Cheers

Depends what you want to observe, ie. DSOs, Planets, Lunar, double stars.

As much as possible. its all amazing to me. It would be nice to switch between bright and DSO's but doubt thats possible with the one eyepiece. I will still keep the 10mm 25mm 2xbarlow that came with scope though.

Basically if i had the money i would buy it all. Wouldnt we all!! haha. Unfortunately, although my chilli plants germinated yesterday. The money tree is still showing no signs of life! :grin:Im just researching on what is the best path for me to take regarding upgrades. as in whats the best order to get things in. if that makes sense?

well everyone has different thoughts and opinions, but i found my most usefull upgrade and most used with my first scope was a 32mm plossl of good quality .

although youd get the same f.o.v but more magnification with a 25mm bst or x-cel lx.

so thats what id go for initially either a 32mm plossl ( televue, meade 4000, gso ect.) or a 25mm x-cel lx / starguider.

however you will get a barrel full of different answers i suspect .

Just want to say thanks for all the posts and info so far. All really helpful. Warthogs thread and Robin Wilkey's website i also found full of great advice and made things a whole lot clearer. So if anyone else is reading this thread with similar questions to me, I highly recommend reading both of these. The links are in posts above.

I am already finding myself swayed towards the BST's. The reviews on them seem great, the people that use them all seem very pleased and recommend them and the price is (excuse the pun) not astronomical! :cheesy:

It seems the man to talk to for BST's to is Alan if i recall correct, at skies the limit. I dont know for sure but it would appear that you are able to 'try before you buy' which would be an invaluable service to be able to use. I am sure in the future i will give him a call and have a chat.

Again, all great advice thanks. anymore will also be gratefully received.

the bst's ( now labeled starguider) are exellent value.robust ,comfortable to use with twist up eyecups and a 60* field of view.

*=degrees ( dont ask) :rolleyes:

Yeah, i think the comfort will be a big factor. On using the stock ep's for a few moments earlier i could see that on long use they would be a pain.

Is it possible to buy and fit just an eye relief to any ep?

Yeah, i think the comfort will be a big factor. On using the stock ep's for a few moments earlier i could see that on long use they would be a pain.

Is it possible to buy and fit just an eye relief to any ep?

Comfort is a great plus for me in eyepieces, unfortunately eye relief cannot be added unless you use a Barlow, good eye relief on ep's is often attained by adding a Barlow (negative) element to the ep, Baader Hyperions are a good example of this, the element can be removed in this instance by unscrewing the 1.25" nosepiece. The reason I don't like using the Baaders at f/5 is that they are a bit 'soft' at the edges but on-axis pretty good, in fact on the Baader website it used to say that they were most suitable for f/6 and slower, I haven't seen it on there recently. I prefer the BST Explorers/StarGuiders - much more consistant performance in my opinion.

Hi Robin,

Wow thats a first, the more EXPENSIVE ones are not such a good choice haha :) is there a specific reason why? for reference. thanks.

i just prefer the performane on the BST's, though I have both in my ep case, which is what makes the BST's such incredible value. The other nice thing is that the BST's are smaller and lighter, and they have very comfortable twist-up eyecups.

Comfort is a great plus for me in eyepieces, unfortunately eye relief cannot be added unless you use a Barlow, good eye relief on ep's is often attained by adding a Barlow (negative) element to the ep, Baader Hyperions are a good example of this, the element can be removed in this instance by unscrewing the 1.25" nosepiece. The reason I don't like using the Baaders at f/5 is that they are a bit 'soft' at the edges but on-axis pretty good, in fact on the Baader website it used to say that they were most suitable for f/6 and slower, I haven't seen it on there recently. I prefer the BST Explorers/StarGuiders - much more consistant performance in my opinion.

As I am new, I will have to delve deeper into lenses to totally understand what you mean by 'negative' and 'element', forgive my ignorance :)

As for the brands, the BST's do seem to come highly recommend by all and very reasonable in price. I will have to at some point have to try and arrange a trial with skies the limit, if thats still possible. The soft edge to the baaders is very off putting, as this would make sweet spot tracking even harder and more frequent.

I will also have to upgrade the barlow at the same time. do you know if the TAL 2x is still being made. I was looking around earlier for prices etc and it doesn't seem to be in stock anywhere. It hasn't gone obsolete has it?

Thanks once again, Robin!!

if your sticking to a budget then the starguiders are a no brainer imo. at under £50 youd be hard pressed to find better quality at that price .

they pop up on the s/h market quite often and can be had for £25-£35 .

Archived