Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Who needs Celestron CG5-GT parts?

FLO

SteveB has begun stripping a Celestron CG5-GT mount to obtain a part for one of our customers. I am aware there are SGL members searching for parts but I cannot easily find the threads. If you are needing a part for a CG5-GT please respond here with a photo of the part required.

We cannot promise to supply it because we are only stripping one mount but we will do our best. If you are an existing FLO customer and purchased the mount from us we'll probably only charge postage, otherwise we'll 'make up' a price based on the part and how long it takes SteveB to retrieve it. But it will be cheaper and quicker than ordering from Celestron :smiley:

HTH,

Steve

CG5goto.jpg

.......if the counter balance weight fits the shaft of an nEQ6, I'd like the counter balance weight locking bolt please (the one that tightens the weight to the shaft) - I broken the plastic knob on mine & can't tighten/untighten it.

I don't mind going for the whole counter weight if that is better for you if necessary.

I think the proper technical/engineering term is mullered! Though not by yours truely ;)

Makes me wince just looking at it. You've surely got to be trying really quite hard to make that much of a mess of it?

James

.....as a technical professional Engineer myself, I recognise the term 'mullered', & concure :grin:

Out of interest, do you know what the history was? I'm curious on how it got to be in such a 'mullered' state.

Out of interest, do you know what the history was? I'm curious on how it got to be in such a 'mullered' state.

I purchased this from Fleabay back in Oct/Nov. The ad and owner stated that it had been left out in a shed for a couple of years and was seized. As he was a not technically minded, he wasn't prepared to attempt the strip and re-assembly himself. On closer inspection at home I realised I had been duped - it was quite obvious that at least several attempts had been made to strip and remove the gear wheel, attested by the incorrect assembly, numerous deep gouges and missing nylon bearing disks! At least the bit about being non technically minded was truthfull..

Win some, loose some - for my £ 65 I gained a polar scope, some spare counterweights and another valuable lesson in life ;)

.......if the counter balance weight fits the shaft of an nEQ6, I'd like the counter balance weight locking bolt please (the one that tightens the weight to the shaft) - I broken the plastic knob on mine & can't tighten/untighten it.

I don't mind going for the whole counter weight if that is better for you if necessary.

Get a set of stud extractors, drill a hole in the plastic, insert a Stud extractor, as you unscrew the stud extractor will tighten and remove the broke piece.......they sell them on Amazon. less than a tenner a set.....

Draper Expert 45856 5-Piece Screw Extractor Set

Tinker - I can get the stud / screw part out no problem - it has not 'snapped' off in the counter weight, rather the plastic knob has shattered, so I have to use pliers to tighten/loosen it - no big issue I suppose, but if there is a replacement screw with a plastic knob available, then that would be even better.

Maybe one day I'll get a welder & add a lever where the plastic knob was. I might be able to drill through the shaft & pin it which would provide something to lever against. It is not the end of teh world as I said, but this might be an opportunity to keep it all looking nice.

I have two SW counter weights, so I've fixed the broken one to the bottom of the counter balance shaft & locked it there & the other one I move to adjust for balance, but then you get flex in the shaft if a weight at the far end - especially as I use teh extension shaft......hence why I'd consider the whole weight as then I would not use the extension shaft.

But thank you for taking the time to read & post, it may have offered a solution for me.

Jake, at least you were not buying it thinking it was in good working order to start with. For £65 you still have not done too badly & you seem to be taking the experience pragmatically which is good.

If you are needing a part for a CG5-GT please respond here with a photo of the part required.

Sorry about this but we are becoming confused so can I please ask everyone who is wanting a part to contact us by this email link. If you have already emailed then you don't need to do anything but if you have only posted or contacted us by PM please email now.

If we use only one email channel we can keep better keep track on who needs what part :smiley:

• 3 months later...

Archived