Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Small adjustments to my EQ3-2, how?

Evening,

I got to try my scope properly for the first time tonight, so I decided to have a go at a little mosaic of the moon using a webcam. I fitted a dual Axis motor recently which required the adjustment cables to be removed (i think) so I really don't know how to micro adjust the mount? Every time I released the locking things I kept moving the scope wildly all over the place so could someone tell me have I lost the ability to make small tweaks or do these arrows buttons on the motor shift it at all?

Thanks for any direction

Tony

I think the motors will move at 2x, 4x and 8x.

Just had my scope out and for "fine" movement I was using 32x, so you can guess that 8x isn't going to be fast.

Quite how the selection of 2x, 4x, 8x is made I am not sure on your handset.

Ah ok, so if I change the speed that does not mess with the tracking? I just push the arrow the way I want the scope to move? If so is it in reverse or upside down?

It varies, is the short answer. I usually work it out when I'm getting the image framed. And if you need to do a meridian flip then (IIRC) DEC gets reversed.

James

The little 2x, 4x, 8x, switch doesn't change the tracking speed.

I never know which button moves it in which direction (I suspect it changes at random so each button moves in a different direction each time you press it ;) ) Just press a button and wait a bit for it to start moving (doesn't always move straight away (Google 'backlash')). You will see it move if you are looking through the eyepiece or at a camera preview, you won't be able to see the mount move just by looking at it, even at 8x it is too slow to really notice.

The little 2x, 4x, 8x, switch doesn't change the tracking speed.

Exactly so. It just changes the speed at which the mount moves when you press the buttons. With no buttons pressed the mount tracks in RA at sidereal rate.

James

Remember that the EQ3-2 is set to track the stars in " Sidereal rate "

The Moon moves at a different rate , in effect " Backwards " compared to the stars , therefore when viewing the Moon you will need to make small adjustments ( about 0.5 degrees an hour )

Higher end mounts (HEQ5 and up ) have the ability to track at the Lunar rate but the EQ3-2 is fixed .

Archived