Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

More on my pier

gajjer

Well things have moved on a bit since my last post. I have bought a skywatcher 200PDS. So the EQ3-2 was well overloaded with that on it. A bigger mount was called for - so I bought a NEQ6 Pro.

That meant I had to re-machine the plates on the pier. Attached photos show the new arrangement.

One problem that I encountered and have seen mentioned in other posts was with the Alt bolts. The 'push up' bolt is very stiff and still isn't set right. I understand that under the side plate with Alt scale on it, there are some grub screws which need to be loosened off.

I have yet to investigate but if true I am amazed that SW haven't done anything about this problem.

Anyhow, I have managed to get reasonable PA and have got some results. As promised my first serious attempt at a stacked and tweaked M42 is attached.

post-15982-0-96569500-1358881145_thumb.jpost-15982-0-23137700-1358881163_thumb.jpost-15982-0-93475600-1358881190_thumb.j

James.

Yes the mount is bolted to the top plate and then the top plate is bolted to the bottom plate by three M6 bolts. Alignment is achieved by three 8mm dowels between top and bottom plate.

There are three spacers between the top and bottom plates. They still need a bit of finishing off to get them to match the top and bottom plates but that can wait till summer.

cheers

Stevp

The pipe is 6' long and buried 3' in concrete. I asked for 5' by my supplier got the numbers wrong!! Its 1/2" wall thickness' so it weighs a ton. However it was something he had lying around and was happy to part with it for a reasonable sum.

The thing about the thicker wall is that it meant I could drill and tap it easier. You will note that there is no provision to level either the top plate or the bottom plate. It just isn't necessary. Though in practice they are close to level.

James

The plan was to bring the top assembly in every night after use. ( The dowels would ensure good alignment the next time it was set up ). In practice it has stayed out there under a heavy duty bin liner since mid December.

In total it cost me £100 and I just love it. No accidental kicking off alignment and I know it will be still set right when ever I use it.

Oh. I am single though, so no negotiations of where it would go. Married men may have more issues!

cheers

gaj

Archived