new telescope advice

hi im a complete newby to astronomy been looking for my first telescope i want to veiw as much as possable for my budget which is about a grand i think ive got it down to a celestron nexstar 6se, eyepiece kit, and power tank, but consdering a refactor any help/thoughs appreciated

Welcome to SGL

The nexstar gets good recommendations from members here and a power tank is a very good addition as it seems that one of the major problems is an unreliable power supply. Personally I wouldn't go for an eyepiece kit as I doubt all the eyepieces would get used. This scope is reportedly good for planets and lunar observing and usable for DSOs but not ideal.

One thing that you will need is a dew shield, either home made or purchased.

I cannot comment on refractors.

Take your time and try and see the scope that you decide on in the flesh either at a dealers or an observing session with your local Astro Society.

Good luck

It's a pretty decent all rounder. but it may help with advice if you say why you like that one. These are the usual questions people need answering.

What do you want to see?

where will you view from?

How portable transportable does it need to be?

Do you want to take photo's?

Do you want goto?

When spending that sort of money I suggest that you locate a localish club or two, ask about any observing evenings and get along to one or two.

I like refractors and could easily suggest one or two to buy, others will suggest an assortment of Mak/SCT's and then comes the reflectors. Each can come on at least 2 mounts. You will get told each combination by one person or another. It is easy for us, we are spending your money and if wrong, well thats a bit unfortunate for us but somewhat worse for you.

The only point I will say is if you expect/anticipate to do any astrophotography then you will need an equitorial mount with dual motors at least. And a Mak/SCT is a poor choice for DSO imaging which needs the equitorial mount. They are the exclusions.

For clubs look at:

Fedastro

Scroll down to Yorkshire and see if there is one close to you.

thanks for all your advise

DSOs are of intrest but i guess my buget will limit this.

i will viewing from my garden (reasonably dark) but also from a few dark sites so reasonably portable woulde be good but dont mind lugging a bit of wieght about.

goto i think is a must and i also like photography so can see my self going in this direction at some point but not seriously (planatery photography-luna-saturn-jupiter).

will i see polar caps on mars on a good night ?

i dont really know what expect but am very intrested and my daughter is also, would be nice to share another intrest with her and get her of the sofa when the soaps are on :)

Welcome to SGL.. think most people rush into buying a scope without knowing where to point it to be honest. Do you know your way around the night sky yet? Obviously a goto scope is great for finding targets, but knowing where they are and hunting them down is all part of the fun (IMO)....when you have been searching for a faint smudge for weeks and then you get that break and find it is one of the joys of astronomy.

I started with Binoculars, and a decent pair for under a £100 will compliment any telescope you decide to buy in the long run. I have seen the Andromeda galaxy with binoculars, nebula , clusters etc (some of the targets to look for show up best in Bins as well, such as the seven sisters and open clusters), as well as planets and they give a great feild of view and allow you to find your way around a lot easier than a scope at first. Both me and my daughter use bins (though do need a tripod to hold steady! )

Even with the goto functionality I would recommend a copy of Turn Left at Orion...intersting reading, as well as great starmaps (get the 4th edition spiral bound edition)...and a first bool to learn the sky (either an app for iphone ipad etc), or the one by the late great sir Patrick Moore...Phillips guide to the night sky.

If you wanted to get into AP, then a lot of members recommend the book "making every photon count" by Steve Richards...it will highlight what you need at the very least to head in that direction...be aware it will cost you pennies though... :laugh: but it will help drive your decision making on the scope front.

My scope arrives soon (hopefully), after a year of star hopping with Bins....though I just went for a TAL100RS (refractor) which fits my visual only requirement, and my interest in Planets and Luna viewing.

I wish you the very best of luck with your choice, and remember... don't open the free box of clouds that comes with every new scope :grin:

Steve

Hi, if you only want to do planetary and lunar photography, you are best to do it with a webcam, and this gives you more (and cheaper) scope options. DSO's will be viewable in a fairly inexpensive scope, so that's not a restriction either. For the best views of DSO's I would recommend the inevitable 150P or 200P reflectors. If you will mainly be looking for planetary and Lunar views, go for a 4" or 5" refractor (these will show you many of the brighter DSO's as well). The 2 reflectors I mentioned are a good all-round choice, the 150P on a EQ5 would be good for Planets, Lunar, DSO's and some unguided astro-photography with a SLR, or webcam plantary photography. Hope that helps! CW :grin:

Hello, I have had a Nexstar 6 for 18 months, it's a fantastic scope, great for moon, planetary and double stars, however I agree with a previous comments for DSO's it struggles, although the scope finds the DSO's it's not in great detail. I was very new to Astronomy when I got my Scope and I have a fantastic W.O. Refracter know, however if I was looking to buy a scope in he same budget as the Nexstar 6 I would probably go or a 12" Meade Dobsonian which would be a better DSO'S scope and very good planetary scope. The eyepiece kit is great to buy but this can be false economy as you probably will quickly realise the difference between the kit eyepieces and and the quality of say a TV possl, whatever you do choose to buy you will not be disappointed as the Nexstar is easy to and takes out the frustration of looking for the object yourself but again that's half the fun!

Archived