NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Do you have a PC/ laptop with serial port to upgrade Synscan software?

Extreme Fencer

Hi I'am lucky to have an old laptop with an RS232 com port to upgrade my Synscan.

It takes only a minute or so to complete.

Thought I'd start this thread if anyone would be willing to help others who wish to upgrade their hand sets but don't have access to the right equipment.

For obvious reasons some might not be willing to allow strangers into their homes.

But if you have a laptop with said com port it could be done anywhere if a power supply is handy e.g powertank for the hand set.

This went off at the first post, they didn't ask for a USB-Serial adaptor.

The serial ports were dropped some time back and not supplied these days, lots of companies still get them added on as they have to support "old" software, and in certain fileds you cannot just change - Safety Critical.

I have a serial port on a PC but wouldn't like to take someones handset and do an upgrade, if it didn't load up the handset is likely garbage. Don't mind breaking my own, but not wiling to have the potential to do it someone elses.

Also from another thread it seems that some people leave the software alone if there is no reason to upgrade, while others see a new variant and want it immediatly. The more it is done the greater the chance of a failure.

Look at it this way, I do not know of any retailer that offers the service for a fee, which makes me suspect that the reliability of any upgrade is not high.

I would sometimes have trouble with USB serial port adapters (locking up etc), so bought a PCI-E dual serial port card off ebay instead for my desktop PC a couple of years ago, which has never had any problems. Was less than £10 I think and works in Windows XP, Windows 7 and linux.

I have had to work with different people's computers and USB/serial adapters bought from wherever.

The bottom line is some work, and some give problems.

My current laptop for work was specified by me with a real serial port (not adapter) to support old equipment reliably and predictably.

Cath's solution of a plug in card for a desktop is another good solution.

With any device update that uses 'flash' memory, not crashing or losing power during update is extremely important.

So a laptop, or desktop with UPS should be used.

Archived