NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Another eyepeice question

I have got a Skywatcher 127 which came with a 25mm and 10mm eye peice. I have bought a BST 15mm eyepiece after reading the reviews in Sky at Night and am very impresed with it. My question is... I know the 10mm eyepiece that came with the scope is not the best and Im considering getting some more BST eyepieces but should I go for the 8mm or the 5mm? At the momment my main interest is the planets and moon but thats not say that i wont want to have a look at the rest of the sky.

Hi Simmo39, the 8mm will be the only one for you as this will give you 187x, about the maximum mag you could hope to attain in UK seeing conditions. The 5mm will theoretically give you 300x, beyond the scopes maximum potential of 254x so will not work. I have assumed your scope focal length is 1500mm - f/11.81. I suggest the first thing you need to consider for this scope is a dew shield here: http://www.firstlightoptics.com/dew-prevention/astrozap-flexible-dew-shield.html

Or make one yourself out of camping mat material.

Hi Robin. Thanks for the pointer, Already sorted a dew shield, found that I needed one after the first few attemps of using scope (helped a lot :) ).Your assumption are right about my scope so 8mm it will be then. Thanks for the help.

+1 for the BST`s you wont go wrong with them great eyepieces ive got two and im going to buy more.

Im well impressed with the 15mm that i got and now an 8mm will be added to it. :) . Im sure others will be added if need be.

• 3 weeks later...

Got my 8mm BST out for the first time the other night and was again impressed with the qualty of these eyepieces. From past posts the 5mm is a no no for my scope but what should i get next? 18 or 25mm? Just trying to cover all bases.

I have never tried the 5mm BST, but the 8mm rocks. Have heard say that the 8mm and 18mm are the pick of the crop, hence these are the two I own and have to say they are brilliant, comfortable in use and a real quality feel to them too. You will not regret the purchase of these great ep's.

Paul.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello all, just on the back of this thread I am also looking at getting new EP's for my Skywatcher 127. I have read good reviews about the BST's. However being a newbie can someone tell me what the difference is between the BST Explorer and the BST Starguider EP's as sold on The Sky's The Limit?

Thanks guys

Graham

Hello all, just on the back of this thread I am also looking at getting new EP's for my Skywatcher 127. I have read good reviews about the BST's. However being a newbie can someone tell me what the difference is between the BST Explorer and the BST Starguider EP's as sold on The Sky's The Limit?

Thanks guys

Graham

Hi Graham,

There is no difference, they are both the same eyepiece with a different name. The same eyepiece is available under a number of other brand names as well but the ones sold by Sky's The Limit seem to be the cheapest.

Hmmm - no EDIT button!!

FLO don´t seem to stock BST - a search came up with Sky´s the Limit. I bought a zoom e/p from them recently for not much money, which I am pleased with.

I believe Skies The Limit to be the only stockist of the Starguiders / Explorers, or Skies Unlimited (on ebay) same company.

I think the very same eyepieces are available, under a different name from other stockists, usually cost a bit more too. I would definitely go for the 8mm, its great.

Paul.

I have a few bst and they are great , once the wobbling stopped Jupiter looked fantastic sat night through the 8mm and my skymax 127.

Can't speak highly enough of Alan at skies the limit , very knowledgeable and friendly ( and round the corner from me) bargain purchases I reckon :)

Archived