Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hi... err not sure if im doing this right !!!

Allan the plumber

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Allan and welcome to the forum. Before buying any kit for astrophotography, I would strongly suggest getting hold of a copy of Steve Ricahrds book, "Making Every Photon Count"(Flo £19.95) which you can view here. It will tell you all that you need to know about imaging, what kit to get and why you need it to take good consistent images. Importantly, it will help provide you with the necessary overview from the start to help you decide how deep you want to go and of course help you refine the necessary budget. Consistency is the key and your suggestion of the Skywatcher HEQ5 mount would provide an excellent mount to get you going. Its larger sibling, the NEQ6, has a greater capacity which I would argue would help future proof your investment should you want to change your scope to something larger in the future without the need to upgrade the mount too - but of course like everything else, it cosy a little bit more money! My advice would be to take your time (...stars aren't going anywhere) do the research and if need be to ask some questions over on the imaging sections if you want expert practical advice and then you will be in a better position to make your own decisions about what will best suit your needs. :smiley:

Clear skies and hope you enjoy the forum

James

Thank you James

I have seen on other threads the mention of this book and I was going to order it before i fell into the trap of buying equipment that may not be suitable. I will take you advice I would like to get myself up and running before the autumn as I have heard we maybe in for an excellent view of a coment ( sorry cant remember it name) :confused:

As a thought what about radio astronomy for all these cloudy nights .... extra hobby???!! :evil:

Only joking :p

Welcome Alan.

No, jest not, radio astronomy is quite feasible,

but as with all things astro it depends upon how big your budget is !

In "bored with the clouds" mode I have used my amateur radio gear to detect the sun both solar max and min ( of course) and the milky way in the Sagittarius galaxy center region ( not too difficult) and by constructing a low noise mast-head front end the milky way in Perseus (<I think it was ,, long time ago, anyway, opposite to Sag. out of the plane of the galaxy )

all at 144MHz

in those days I used a chart recorder, these days you would use an A-D converter and a computer !!

Archived