Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Astro engineering pier for eq6

Bubbles82

Hi is there anyone who has the astro engineering pier for there eq mount the same one available from pulsar optical ( i know there customer service is poor ) as would like to know what your thoughts are on its build quality and ease if fitment / use.I have just brought my first house and while my good lady is distracted picking out colours and those boring things I'm gonna dig a massive hole in the garden to fill with concrete to bolt some sort of pier to it and then build a 3 sided wind protection type guard around it with fence panels and posts. :)

Cheers Matt :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I have the AE282 pier, (the one for the EQ6/NEQ6). It’s not cheap, but is well made, with good welds on the steel parts, so should last. The scope mounting plate can be easy changed for other types too. So I consider it worth the investment ;)

Mine arrived on a pallet; it is heavy and needs couple of people to move it any distance. I managed to get mine to my roll-off roof observatory on my own, but it was not far from where the lorry had dropped it off.

The pier needs installing on a decent sized concrete footing. This did take a few weeks to build, mostly due to letting the cubic metre of concrete set properly. I had to have a couple of go’s at fitting the steel studding used to bolt it down, (managed to make a mess of using the epoxy resin used to ‘glue’ the studding into the concrete), but I got there in the end. Now, when the pier is tapped there is not much ringing, (as claimed by AE’s advertising).

So, it its worth a punt, if you can live with the price.

Ken B.

Archived