Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Meade in Financial Trouble ?

Space Dragon

I know they have had their issues of late but I'm pretty certain they could drop their European prices to be more inline with the US market and turn part of it around whilst still turning a profit.

Drop prices to increase income? "You crazy" they would say.

You never know, they could start a trend.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know they have had their issues of late but I'm pretty certain they could drop their European prices to be more inline with the US market and turn part of it around whilst still turning a profit.

Drop prices to increase income? "You crazy" they would say.

You never know, they could start a trend.

But in Europe we need to pay 20% VAT, so they will make a loss if they try to sell at the US price. However, I agree the European price can be cheaper because at the moment most equipment are double the US price.

US prices are different for just about everything. Mostly cheaper for good reasons.

Its not all explained by the lack of VAT. Instead of VAT, there is local sales tax and although this varies it can be as much as 10% (although it averages around 6%) it still exists and in some states applies to almost all goods, rather than just luxury items.

American workers get less holidays, there is much less restriction on redundancy and employment, fuel is a lot cheaper (so transport costs are much lower), no NHS to fund, land value is MUCH lower etc etc.

All added up, it means things are a lot cheaper to buy over there but you're not 'better off' as money just goes in different places. When I lived there, you notionaly looked at a UK price and assumed the US price would be two thirds.

Typed by me on my fone, using fumms... Excuse eny speling errurs.

Gents, we should remember that should Meade go under, then several thousand people will lose their Jobs...and many are skilled workers in a diminishing industry, so whilst we all may have thoughts about Meade as an operator, we should remember those who will be seriously negatively impacted by events if they are as bad as painted..

i have never understood why meade products are so expensive. you only need to look at ebay and see meade 90mm sct scopes going for £300 and 127mm for £500 second hand! Are they that good that they deserve such a price tag? New prices are eye wateringly high - £600+ for pretty much anything......

You can buy a brand new skywatcher 127mak or 130 newt goto for the same money as their second hand gear...

now either they are absolutely superb pieces of equipement that justify their inflated prices - or their manufacturing / shipping costs are just totally uncompetitive to the likes of SW, Cel etc - in which case they will disappear into the history books.

Shame, but thats the way of the world.

Nick

For the price of a Skywatcher Skyliner 400P FlexTube Dobsonian I would better saving a bit longer and go for the Sumerian Optics 16" with the GSO mirror. Apparently these fit into the back of a small hatchback (Astra etc) and are well made. Another solution would be to wait for a second hand 16" so I can use the primary and secondary mirrors and cells and make a better base.

Dave.

Been looking at those travel dobs of Sumerians for a while (though a future project perhaps). think they look really nice.....though not seen anyone that has one.

FLO doesn't stock meade. I recall when I was snooping around when I first got into astronomy the etx80 looked like the ticket for me. Then I liked for forums and found this one. The General advice on here is Hey a dob or a 127 mak etc. You see it every day. FLO had a great user friendly site and their prices are great. Just Saying that this probably continues to poor sales in the uk. Meade have poor entry level products and they are not universally stocked. Any Site I find that sits sell meade scopes has ridiculous ranges from 2 grand to 22 grand. I just think what person buys a 22 hand scope off the Internet? They Should focused on envy level products in all scope types. Or perhaps killer low cost high performance eyepieces.

FLO doesn't stock meade. I recall when I was snooping around when I first got into astronomy the etx80 looked like the ticket for me. Then I liked for forums and found this one. The General advice on here is Hey a dob or a 127 mak etc. You see it every day. FLO had a great user friendly site and their prices are great. Just Saying that this probably continues to poor sales in the uk. Meade have poor entry level products and they are not universally stocked. Any Site I find that sits sell meade scopes has ridiculous ranges from 2 grand to 22 grand. I just think what person buys a 22 hand scope off the Internet? They Should focused on envy level products in all scope types. Or perhaps killer low cost high performance eyepieces.

Meade used to have a range of low cost high performance eyepiece, but they fell out with the OEM (JOC). Then JOC and some ex-Meade executives founded Explore Scientific which became the brand for killer low cost high performance eyepieces.

Meade never made good quality entry level scopes. There DS/Explore series were department store junk, while the more serious ETX series were much more expensive than Synta's.

Meade should have focused on one segment of the market but they didn't. Both their low end and their high end products have issues which seriously damaged their reputation, and reputation is very important in a niche market such as astronomy.

Archived