Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Synscan Handset Issue

smudgeball

Hi all

I changed my nexstar alt/az mount for an eq3 pro mount.

The Synscan handset is at v3.27

I have tried to flash up to v3.32 but continually get a handset not found error.

I'm using a usb/serial adaptor purchased from Astronomiser and this worked fine with the previous nexstar handset (and works fine when connecting a serial Garmin GPS unit)

I have also purchased a skywatcher data cable (also from astronomiser) and still cannot communicate with the handset.

I have also tried a direct serial connection via an older pc and laptop at my work, all with no success.

While I'm sure that the handset will continue to work ok with v3.27, I'm just wondering if there is anything else I can try ?

I should also point out that I have a full eqmod setup so can dispense with the use of the handset but it's always nice to have the handset if I'm out and about with my scope.

This falls into the category of "it ain't broke....don't fix it" but I'd appreciate any pointers on other things to try.

It may just be that the handset can not be upgraded and as I purchased second-hand a while ago, I'll just accept that and use v3.27 as is.

Thanks in advance

Regards

Neil

A V3 handset is updateable. I assume that when you try to update the handset's firmware you put the handset into update mode ie press buttons 0 & 8 simultaneously and then power the handset up ? Also make sure you select the option to automatically find the correct comm port in the Synscan firmware uploader program and that the usb/serial adapter is recognised by your computer.

hi

Thanks for the reply.

I've covered the points you've mentioned above and really think it's the handset at fault.

I've also tried setting different comm port numbers as well as the earlier version of the loader program.

It's a shame I can't test the data socket on the handset.

Just wanted to see if there was anything else to test, but as mentioned, it DOES work.

Cheers

Neil

Thanks again for reply,

Although I've now purchased two data cables, you never know .

It's well documented here and elsewhere that it can be hit and miss with cabling.

But to be honest I think buying a third cable would be too much?

As I got the mount and tripod secondhand, I didn't get the skywatcher cable that came with it.

Only the handset cable, RA and DEC cables, 12V power and a mains adapter.

But, as before, it works on v3.27, this was purely a post to see if I was missing something.

Thanks again

Neil

Hi

You probably tried already, but are the contacts on the Skyscan free from corrosion? I found mine, despite being in the obs, had (both) turned green (leading to an MC not found error as well), but cleaning them up CAREFULLY with a diamond file cured the problem - while it isn't relevant to your problem I also swapped the curly cable for a network cable which has better moisture proofing.

N

Hi i recently updated my synscan hand set from 3.27 to 3.32 using an old laptop, the only computer with RS323 com port.

Even with the uploader set to auto detect com port i had to manualy set the com port to com1 it then worked ok.

Worth a try!

Final post on this one.

I've gone as far as removing the rear cover and checking continuity of all contacts from the serial end of the cable (with it connected) through to the circuit board connections.

All ok.

The handset although clearly working fine with v3.27 just can't go any further.

As I mentioned I have eqmod working fine handset free.

Just a shame you can't do a firmware upgrade.

Anyway, thanks to those who have contributed to post.

Cheers

Neil

I have exactly the same issue, I have 3.28 B20 on mine and want to update the firmware.

I have also followed every suggestion and still does not work I even charged my power tank just in case it was a voltage issue but still have the problem. It works otherwise. Oh hum.... Incedentally the cable I am using is a combination of the original lead and a prolific serial adapter. It worked fine when I first update the firmware. I havent used the mount more than 4 times since due to weather but it connects to the pc with the lead no problem!

I am at a loss.......

Hi this may or may not be relevant but the Profilic usb adapter has been cloned for some time and is known to be unreliable in operation.

this link might be useful http://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/note-how-to-not-get-scammed-with-prolific-%28pl2303%29-usb-serial-adapters/

on my own mount Eq6 Synscan i have been using the FTDI usb-serial adapter with no Problems to date.

pete

Hi

Sorry just noticed last reply.

As mount was purchased secondhand earlier updates would have been by previous owner.

Direct control is via shoestring astronomy dedicated usb lead and not via pc-direct mode.

Sorry if there was confusion.

I'm going to give the handset to a friend who has just successfully flashed his handset to V3.32.

It will at least confirm that the handset can't be flashed (or I'll end up getting it done which would be a bonus)

The latter would be a shame as I'm convinced that I've tried everything.

But it may just be that my setup is just not communicating.

Anyway, I'm seeing him at our club meeting next week.

Let you know how it goes.

Cheers

Neil

• 2 weeks later...

Just a final update.

Met up with my friend at our club meeting.

Connected his handset and my laptop recognised it straight away.

Changed over to mine......nothing :huh:

So that's it.

The handset can't be upgraded, so it'll be a v3.27 for the rest of its days.

At least I tried

Regards

Neil

• 5 months later...

I was a having a similar problem this week with a generic Prolific USB to serial connector. Every time I fired up the firmware loader (v3.0) it failed to detect the handset. I was just using the generic USB to serial driver that came with my laptop (Windows 7).

I then downloaded and installed the proper Prolific driver from the link below and everything worked fine first time. Now moved up from v3.27 to 3.35 on my handset.

http://prolificusa.com/pl-2303hx-drivers/

Hope this helps,

Rob

• 2 months later...
I had a similar issue when I was trying to downgrade my Synscan V3.35 to V3.27 using an USB>Serial adapter and Parallels on MacOS.

Tried several times and received a software error recommending power cycling the handset. After reading the update instructions, I realize there is an option in the handset to reduce communication speed. After power up in update mode (8+0), before connect serial cable, press <SETUP> and you will see a MI and LO indicating baud rate change. I tried LO and it failed, but in MI it worked like a charm.

The connection seems to be a little instable because if you keep moving the mouse or using other apps during update operation, sometimes it fails.

But after downgrading, the old firmware seems not to work properly. I have only truncated words at the left part of display.

Am I not allowed to downgrade my Synscan Handset? I have a Synscan HW: 3.06, FW 3.35 and DB 3.28 (golden Synscan label)

Daniel

Since I raised this issue with SW weeks ago, they are very concerned. So much so, Synta now want me to Beta test their next round of Skyscan firmware before releasing it. I do prof. astronomy and have lots of time to dedicate myself to this cause as it affects every user of Skyscan, including me, as I have an EQ6 Pro and the EQ8 as part of my Asteroid and SN program.

In regards to the alignment problems in V3.32, 33 and 35, the real issues was the 'untested' alignment bug that has plagued the last three rounds of the firmware. Those who have switched back to 3.27 will see a vast improvement in their GOTO pointing.

Aside, This is what I got back from Synta (aka Skywatcher) re the Skyscan problems.

"...The 3-Star Alignment is designed for using with a system that have rather high cone error. When the cone error is small in the system, it is not necessary to use 3-Star alignment. Theoretically, 3-Star alignment should also work fine when the cone error is small, but we do find that SynScan might work un-consistent in such case. We have started to work on this issue and hope that we can release a new SynScan firmware to solve the problem soon..."

I will keep this post up to date as to my findings.

cheers,

James

• 2 weeks later...

Since I raised this issue with SW weeks ago, they are very concerned. So much so, Synta now want me to Beta test their next round of Skyscan firmware before releasing it. I do prof. astronomy and have lots of time to dedicate myself to this cause as it affects every user of Skyscan, including me, as I have an EQ6 Pro and the EQ8 as part of my Asteroid and SN program.In regards to the alignment problems in V3.32, 33 and 35, the real issues was the 'untested' alignment bug that has plagued the last three rounds of the firmware. Those who have switched back to 3.27 will see a vast improvement in their GOTO pointing.Aside, This is what I got back from Synta (aka Skywatcher) re the Skyscan problems."...The 3-Star Alignment is designed for using with a system that have rather high cone error. When the cone error is small in the system, it is not necessary to use 3-Star alignment. Theoretically, 3-Star alignment should also work fine when the cone error is small, but we do find that SynScan might work un-consistent in such case. We have started to work on this issue and hope that we can release a new SynScan firmware to solve the problem soon..."I will keep this post up to date as to my findings.cheers,James

James

How can I switch back to an older software version after 3.35 update?

I tried several versions from 3.24 to 3.28 and everytime the process is flawless but the display shows broken words only using the first 7 character of each line.

James

How can I switch back to an older software version after 3.35 update?

I tried several versions from 3.24 to 3.28 and everytime the process is flawless but the display shows broken words only using the first 7 character of each line.

You should be able to switch back if you have the correct version. V3.27 had no issues but it seems, SW have taken that version off their website.

So wait until the new release comes out. No doubt it will have lots of goodies and bug fixes.

Archived